Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find out if someone was a lord?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Apr 2010 11:28

Ive been told by family that my great great grandfather Conly Thomas James Dease was a lord, and i dont know how to find out if its true. There is no mention of it on his death certificate, which is the only piece of info i have on him. Should i just assume if it doesnt mention it here it wasn't true?
Help!

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Apr 2010 11:42

Have you tried googling? Or look through debretts or Whos Who - it must show up somewhere.

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Apr 2010 12:00

Thanks, im not very good at this!
ive googled him but only get his baptism record, Ive never used Debretts and have done a quick search with no joy, ill have a good look later when kids are asleep. thanks again though any help greatfully recieved!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Apr 2010 12:03

It rather look like he might have been from a military background.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Apr 2010 12:11

He was appointed probationary assistant surveyor, 1 Dec. 1873 for 11th & 2nd Deccan Topgraphical Survey. From a book "A Memoir on the Indian Surveys" by Clements R. Markham.

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Apr 2010 12:12

he was in the indian civil service according to his death cert, and lived at no 9 Pall Mall which is why i thought the lord thing might be true. This part of the family are driving me nuts! they have been really hard to trace,

Many thanks for that bit of info! Thats great

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 14 Apr 2010 18:46

9 Pall Mall was built in 1890s as a Bank and is now a country clothing shop
http://www.farlows.co.uk/heritage.php?osCsid=918fddb69278e033505c8c58642b5d2d

Th HEIC have a club in St Jamess
http://www.eastindiaclub.com/

MB

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 14 Apr 2010 18:52

Entry from Transcription of Bengal Marriage Indexes 1874 - 1896
Presidency of Marriage BENGAL
Marriage Year 1879
Husband First Names Conly J.
Husband Surname Dease
Wife First Names Martha J.
Wife Surname Gardiner
Prefix N1
Source Year 1879
Volume Number 170
Folio 174

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 14 Apr 2010 19:59

There's a site called 'the Peerage.com', they have lots of names to look at.

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Apr 2010 21:19

thanks everyone this has been really helpful.

One other thing is that he was married twice, his 2nd wife (my great great grandmother) was apparently called Lavinia Young, i also cant find anything about this marriage. Since you all seem to be on a roll for me could anyone help me out with this? My great grandmother Sheila Margaret Maxwell Dease was born in 1907 (ish) apparently in India if that helps!
Sorry to be cheeky :-)

Gillian

Gillian Report 14 Apr 2010 21:38

The lease of 9 Pall Mall was held by the Royal Bank of Scotland until disposed of in 2001. 7 Pall Mall was Cox & Kings Bank, which became part of Lloyds Bank, then Lloyds TSB and held a lot of military and overseas .accounts.

I don't know if the Bank would have anything of interest in it's archives. The old Lloyds Bank I worked with in the 70's transferred some old and rather dusty ledgers from my local branch to an archive somewhere because they contained signatures of some famous people and an archivist thought too valuable to be pulped. Would the Post Office have anything? He was a Superintendent after all and probably signed all sorts of paperwork .

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 14 Apr 2010 22:59

If you're looking for Marriage or Baptism or Death info then you'll need to visit the British Library, in Kings Cross London. They have indexes which will give you the reel number and folio number; look for this on microfilm. Its Free to look and they charge 20p for a A4 print

for more info look at
http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/familyresearch.html

I did look at FIBIS there were a few Dease details I posted the one about his first marriage.
http://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/index.php

I'm sure you'd find a heap of stuff at the BL

MB

Kelly

Kelly Report 15 Apr 2010 09:26

many thanks again everyone, plenty to keep me going for a while i think! Much appreciated xx