Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish & Irish Ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vicki

Vicki Report 14 Apr 2010 16:10

Please can anyone tell me what is best site to use to cover Scotland & Northern Ireland bmd's? Am having a break from doing my maternal side of the family in Derbyshire & Staffordshire - & thought I'd now begin to look at my Dad's side of things. Also, do I follow the same basic rules like 'start with what you know and work backwards'? Hoping for some good tips please??
Thanks, Vicki

Potty

Potty Report 14 Apr 2010 16:48

The best site for Scotland is scotlandpeople:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/birth/index.aspx

It has bmd indexes from 1855 to 2006. It is a pay to view site but you can view and download images of original entries, viewing copies of certs is much cheaper than buying English ones.

familysearch (IGI) also has lots of Scottish records, upto approx 1875 for some areas. It can be cheaper to find an entry there and then using the info, find and view the same entry on scotlandspeople

Scotlandspeople also has PR pre 1855; again, you can view and download images.

Irish bmd indexes can be found on familysearch, under Search Records, Record Search Pilot. Click "Browse Collections"; click on Europe on the map and then scroll (quite a way) down to Ireland.

There are several threads on here with advice on researching Irish ancestors.

Vicki

Vicki Report 14 Apr 2010 17:40

Potty - Thanks v much for that, it's exactly what I wanted to know. Have not searched for Irish ancestors before, & a lot of the info I have is what's been handed down verbally - 'all very gifted musically' - or 'big drinkers' - & a lot of tall stories probably. I'll start on the IGI & then do as you say & go to Scotlandspeople. If it's any good, I'll perhaps join. Can't wait to get started now!

Cheers, Vicki

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 14 Apr 2010 18:05

Also although civil registration started later in Scotland than England, certificates give much more info. Eg death certs give parent's names and occupations including maiden name of mother!

If you hit the jackpot and find a cert in 1855, it gives details of siblings too!

Good luck

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Apr 2010 18:18

Vicki...Do you have any dates/names/locations....

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 14 Apr 2010 20:23

Irish Family History Foundation Online Genealogy Databases for Ireland

http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 14 Apr 2010 20:47

Frank, does the site you posted have the fragments of the earlier census records? I was amazed that the census records in ireland started in 1821...although a lot were destroyed

"there are some returns for 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851 covering parts of counties Antrim, Cavan, Cork, Fermanagh, Galway, King's County (Offaly), Londonderry (Derry), Meath and Waterford."

I don't know where my Irish ancestor was born in Ireland, he was born in ireland about 1811 but he was in Scotland by the time of the 1841 census. However, I now have his parents' names - it would be a miracle if I could find them on the earlier census records but I've got to try ;)

I never thought I'd ever find his parents' names but I have :)

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 15 Apr 2010 08:14

Sorry Red,

I've not used it yet, just signed up a few months ago and they are gradually increasing the online coverage.

Vicki

Vicki Report 17 Apr 2010 17:08

Thanks v much to Frank 06 & to S.R. Squirrel for help. Only just found time to look out paperwork today, so apologies. To Eringobragh1916 - names I have up to now are: My Dad Caesar Jackson Reid dob 22.01.1914 - died in 2002. Have got his death cert only. His parents: William Reid born Jan1885, a miner, believed born in Belfast - married Agnes Kelleghan Jackson born c.1890 in Burnbank, Hamilton, Lanarks. The Wm Reid 1885's father was a Billy (Wm?) Reid, a carpenter in Belfast shipyards, apparently a drunkard! The 1885 William had siblings James, John, Jemima & Rebecca. I don't know what year they moved to Scotland. They were all Protestants. My Dad, C J Reid born in Netherburn, Lanarks & he moved to England around 1938. Any info welcomed. I have not yet joined Scotlandspeople, but am willing to do so as there is lots to uncover.
With thanks for being there, Vicki

Jlove

Jlove Report 18 Apr 2010 10:31

Hi Vicki

A good site for searching Belfast certs is www.ancestryireland.com. Its free to search but payperview.

The 1911 census is also free with 1901 going online by June.

Hope that helps!