Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Details changing in import/export of gedcoms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fandebbidozy

fandebbidozy Report 15 Apr 2010 14:22

Has anyone else had a problem with date changes during sending or exporting/importing gedcoms. I sometimes seem to have a loss of persons or dates change or go to 0 ?
Debbie

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 15 Apr 2010 15:08

I uploaded a new gedcom here recently. All my dates were reading 0 except the birthdates which all read Dec and the notes section for each person was full of meaningless and apparently random letter and numbers. My whole tree here was ruined and with 600 odd people on it I have n't even bothered to correct it and will only update my tree at ancestry in future.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Apr 2010 16:17

Yes, this is actually quite common. Much depends on which gedcom tags and field formats a particular tree program can support. and so it will also depend on which direction you are moving data.

Dates are a particular problem if you try to use odd formats. For example FTM supports Bet Jan - Mar 1854 but this it truncated if you import to GR. On the otherhand GR allows you to enter Mar Qtr 1845 but when exported to other tree programs it fails validation.

If you both can be more specific on the data that is not being accepted then it might be possible to come up with a solution, but and this is s a big but, the chances are that you have to correct one or the other sets of data to make it more conformant.

From personal experience I know that my own FTM created gedcom will transfer both to GR and Ancestry, but that a reverse transfer of the same data will bring up errors.

The GR tree is limited in which tags are supported so you will loose info if you import a file which has other info than baptism date, place of baptism, marriage date, place of marriage, occupation, known as (nickname), source of data and notes.