Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I buy a copy of a Will?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 15 Apr 2010 15:40

Can someone give me relatively easy instructions on how to order a copy of a Will please?

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 15 Apr 2010 15:41

what year are you looking at please - pre 1858 or after?

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 15 Apr 2010 15:53

You don't mention the time period, but these links will help
The National Archives have a factsheet on Wills
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enationalarchives%2Egov%2Euk%2Fcatalogue%2Fleaflets%2Fri2301%2Ehtm&lBack=-1

Or HMCS
Have wills from 1858 - present
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

If you're located in London you can search for yourself, pay £5.00 in approx 1 hour and you can walk away with a copy. If not they have a 'by post' service - see the above link

RStar

RStar Report 15 Apr 2010 15:59

Hi, its after 1858. (Sorry, had to sort 4 year old out!). I'll check that link out now, thankyou ladies.
Edit: Sorry, can I just ask - I know when the person died but not when the Will was actually made. Do I just specify the death date and they'll work from there (need to do it the postal way), or will they need the date it was actually drawn up?

RobG

RobG Report 15 Apr 2010 18:38

Good luck with finding one! I went down to the HM Courts office in Holborn (London) armed with the names and death dates of all my direct ancestors (and my OHs) that had died since 1858, all 46 of them. How many did I find looking through their indices at the death year and about five years after for each one? NONE!!! Aaarrrrggghhhh!!
Even asked the guy at 'WDYTYA Live' to see if I'd done anything wrong, but apparently not! (although he did say they'd had wills proved as long as 50 years after the death, but I don't think I want to see them enough to search through 50 years worth for each one!!!).
As has been said, only around 40% of people leave a will, and only those of a certain size estate or those disputed get probate apparently.
Hope you are more fortunate.

RStar

RStar Report 17 Apr 2010 13:32

You're all brilliant, thankyou. I know a will was left, probably the only one out of all my ancestors who actually made one! So will get cracking, many thanks.

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 Apr 2010 18:15

I've been really lucky as most of mine are from cheshire, and cheshire council has them online to search and buy for, brilliant source of info if you can get them

Christine

Christine Report 20 Apr 2010 17:36

If you can find the one you want on the National Archives site, for a fee of £3 you can download it.