Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is ancestry good for irish research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 15 Apr 2010 22:10

hi have been looking for irish relatives for a long time .no luck on genes i looked through ancestry and saw they had a few sites for irish lookups has anybody used this if so can they reccomend it or not .looking for info for 1800s is ancestry any good for this
would be interested in peoples views before i spend money because if it is the same as genes there is no point thanks keith

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2010 22:33

you could also try this free site

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

alternatively you could if you wish give details and see if anyone can be of help

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 15 Apr 2010 22:55

Keith,
I think we all have trouble with Southern Irish records which,at the moment you can't get on Ancestry.
A lot of their records were destroyed apart from the various parishes.
The only thing I can suggest is the Heritage Centres which every S Irish county seems to have They hold parish registers.A lot of us still seem to have brick walls with the Irish.I would recommend a visit to Ireland and go to a centre as I found them helpful,but try them on line first.They are a bit expensive.