Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why would someone change their

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Apr 2010 13:02

surname after having the one for 30 years and use that which I think may be the maiden name of their grandmother (or gt grandmother possibly)?

any suggestions as i am bogged down on this one lol

Rose x

Astra

Astra Report 16 Apr 2010 13:20

Hi Rose
Unless you give us the details of this person I'm afraid we will have no idea but there could be any number of reasons. A brush with the law for instance or finding out that his surname wasn't after all what he thought it was!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Apr 2010 13:20

Could be tons of reasons. For example, my friend's father was a horrible man, after he left she took her mother's maiden name.
Jan

Scorpio

Scorpio Report 16 Apr 2010 13:22

Possibly because a family member has done something awful and the name-changer doesn't want to be associated in any way with that person/family name?

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Apr 2010 13:32

Hi sorry was bogged down over on Ancestry there for a minute... just found a tree with him on so sent a message , though I don't hold out a lot of hope as it seems they have just made a guess...given they didn't look up place of birth and get the right county :(

I'll come back and ask further with some details if I can figure it out! Thankyou all

xx