Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where would these people be buried

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 16 Apr 2010 19:18

I have received a death certificate today, and it says she died in
the County Mental Hospital Annexe in Eccleston, did they bury these people in paupers graves, and would they be marked at all in any way, names etc. I have tried to look for this place, by putting it in google, it comes up now as Rainhill Hosp, any ideas plase. Anne.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 16 Apr 2010 19:35

I think it would depend on their family circumstances, their next of kin may have had a proper funeral for them. If there was no next of kin, possibly a pauper's funeral. As you have a date of death, you could contact the cemetery local to the area, and see if they have details of a burial.
Liz

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Apr 2010 19:41

If they were given a burial classed as a pauper ones then there willl be no headstone,as it would be used again for someone else or already been used previously....but their burial should be entered in a churchyard burial register or municipal cemetery held by the local council or cemetery themselves,this of course depends on dates.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Apr 2010 21:13

Eccleston and Rainhill are within a short distance of each other and Rainhill was an asylum at one stage. I have heard it has mostly been demolished and a housing estate built on the site. Whereabouts was your family based because as Liz says, it's quite possible the family took care of the funeral and she was buried in the local churchyard. I think both areas are covered by the St. Helens council. Cx.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 17 Apr 2010 09:15

Have you tried searching the St Helens Cemetary website.

If you google St Helens Council deceased search. This site is very searchable with burial and cremations.

If you are using IE8 you need to put it into compatible mode.

I always thought Eccleston Hospital was a fever hospital situated at the top of The Avenue.

Anne

Anne Report 17 Apr 2010 13:36

I am not sure if she had any siblings left over that way, I know she was the youngest child, she was hospitilised due to fact she suffered from Epilepsy,it gives her address previously as being in Radcliffe, which now comes under Greater manchester, and just says she was the daughter of William Swift, occupation unknown, as far as I know he was deceased, the informant is shown as the Assistant Medical officer, County Mental Hospital Annexe Whiston Rd Eccleston. she died on the 15th Dec 45, but death not registered till Ist January 46.? Anne.

Thanks once again for all your replys.

Anne

Anne Report 17 Apr 2010 14:06

To Barbara, thanks so much for you help, I have found the burial on the St Helens deceased search, I will ring the cemetery on Monday, and maybe a trip there next week. Kindest regards Anne. x