Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 17 Apr 2010 16:44

I am trying to establish what happened to an old friend. We were together in RAF Boys Service in 1952/3 and have for a couple of years been trying to trace him to invite him to the reunions that I now organise. I may have found the registration of his death but I would like to be sure it is him. Leonard Barry Decarteret, b. 9/6/35 died Feb 88 Southwark, inferred county-London Vol: 15 page 147. I would like to know who registered the death which may indicate if he was married and, possibly, where he lived at time of death, also, where born as my friend was from Channel Islands. What will be the best way to find out more information about him and his family - I have had no luck so far on GR but will try again. Any advice please? Thankyou very much.
Brian

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Apr 2010 16:54

well you wont find the info you want online you would have to buy the cert for the info it has
Name: Leonard Barry Decarteret
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1935
Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1988
Age at death (estimated): 52
Registration district: Southwark
Inferred County: London
Volume: 15
Page: 147

Brian

Brian Report 17 Apr 2010 17:26

Ta! Shirley but where is best to buy the cert and any idea of the cost please.
I have just tried again on GR but no matches !
Thank you very much for your help.
Brian

Flick

Flick Report 17 Apr 2010 17:47

www.gro.gov.uk

Cost £9.25

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Apr 2010 18:41

GRO Index shows no birth for someone of that name, suggesting he was born outside of England and Wales.

I found no marriage listed for him.

Gwyn

Brian

Brian Report 17 Apr 2010 21:08

Thanks very much Flick and Gwyn.
If this is the same chap, he was born, I'm pretty sure, in the Channel Islands but I don't know if they have any accessible database.
Basically, I don't want to tell the lads at our reunion in Sept that Len is dead if this isn't the right one. Does a death cert give place born do you know ? ?
Many thanks again for your help - Gwyn, I too am in Kent and I am 50% Welsh so love your name.
Agajn if anyone can give any suggestions I will be most grateful.
Brian

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Apr 2010 21:30

Maybe 1980s phone books will list him, then you could check that address in old electoral lists to see who else was registered at that address.
This might give you a lead to a living person, but whether you could trace them now is uncertain.

Gwyn...also half Welsh

Brian

Brian Report 17 Apr 2010 21:30

Thanks ZummerZet Girl
Thanks for the info. Yes, I suppose that is true but I just hope the informant was someone who knew him well.
Ta everso !
Brian
PS. Note to all ! The people on this site are blooming fantastic.