Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

common names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret?

Margaret? Report 17 Apr 2010 19:17

I have a couple of people on my tree with very common names so get lots, and lots, of hits which are not relevant and take ages to sort out. Anyone know how to deal with this? Thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Apr 2010 20:31

The main reason for GR is to match with other members trees is it not?

So what is the point of putting Adjusted"surname. E.G. Instead of John Smith call him John Htims. Might as well leave him off altogether and save all the bother.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Apr 2010 21:27

Sorry, I do not believe that the main reason people become members of GR is to seek the help of other members in tracking down their ancestors via census and other records.

It certainly is not the main reason I became a member, nor is it the isn't the reason that most of the 200 plus contacts I have made on here have become members either. .We are firstly interested in making contacts with our names. Seeking help with censuses and other records comes second,

Each to his own, I suppose.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Apr 2010 22:30

Blimey Margaret, bet you didn't expect to spark such a debate!!
For what it's worth, I agree with Jonesey - edit your famly members' common surname in some way to stop masses of hot matches. You can always search other members' trees yourself if you so choose.
Jan

Peter

Peter Report 18 Apr 2010 00:17

I agree with InspectorGreenPen that most GR members want to make contact with others searching the same lines rather than cadge some census credits. It is therefore counterproductive to falsify entries on one's tree. It is also morally dubious to hide one's own names while searching the trees of other members.

Peter

Ivy

Ivy Report 18 Apr 2010 09:18

Margaret, not sure whether you meant the hot matches, or just that when searching anywhere, there are too many possibilities?

So far as hot matches are concerned, I do not spend time "cleaning" these up. I see that I now have 206 pages of hot matches, so at 20 per page, that is 4,120 matches. Many of these will be a single matching forename, surname and age, with the birthplace in a different county, or even a different country! I do sometimes look at page 1 to see if there are any new hot matches with multiple matches to my tree.

So far as searching with a common name is concerned, the rule "start with what you know" is absolutely key. Look for rarer names:
siblings forenames,
surnames of witnesses at marriages,
places of birth etc
that you can positively identify with your family and search sideways with these.

Also, don't overlook lodgers and neighbours - often they may be related, and even if not, can sometimes help in moving from one census to another.

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Apr 2010 12:01

John Smith 1884 +/- 2--- 1972 hits
John Smith* 1884 +/- 2--- zero hits
John Smith. 1884 +/- 2--- 2 hits
So you can see that it only needs a small modification to cut down hits.

Ivy

Ivy Report 18 Apr 2010 13:22

Hmm, have checked my tree for tree matches and record matches for my John Smith:
0ver 5,000 tree matches and 900 record matches
However, most of my hot matches come via the Wilkinson surname
- I wonder if the John Smith hot match has been turned off by GR?