Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is maiden name on 2nd marriage certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

A Lancashire

A Lancashire Report 17 Apr 2010 22:50

Is the maiden name included on an 1849 marriage certificate when it is her second marriage, or just her 1st married name? It is a Boston, Lincs marriage.
Does anyone know?
Thanks
Molly

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Apr 2010 22:51

It should be - I have one which states both.
Jan

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 17 Apr 2010 22:56

I have some 2nd marriages that dont have the maiden name on but the fathers surname tells you her maiden name ,if she knew who he was of course ...

A Lancashire

A Lancashire Report 17 Apr 2010 23:19

thank you both for adding a touch of sanity!!! I should have realised father's name would be included, stupid. Time to stop and rethink!!
Thanks
Molly

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 08:15

I would agree with the above reasoning re. father's name. This is generally a good indication, and probably the best guide at that date.
The problem comes in later years,when the girl is brought up with her mother's surname, but knows her father's name. They are difficult to track through census sometimes if you are working back from a marriage certificate.
One of my recently acquired marriage certificates shows 'father unknown'....... and yet she was brought up by him, is seen as his daughter in census and he registered her birth...in her mother's surname
An open mind to several possibilities is useful.

Gwyn