Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptisms New York & Baltimore c1800?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 18 Apr 2010 10:36

I have ancestors in Baltimore, Maryland c1793-1799 and New York c1794-1817. Anybody know how I can find records of baptism or death? Fortunately the name, Wilmshurst, is not too common so I've already found them on the 1800 census and other documents. The family returned to England, so I'm only interested in those time periods.

Ivy

Ivy Report 18 Apr 2010 13:35

This webpage is part of a subscription site, but also lists sources of genealogical data for the time period for Maryland:

http://www5.genealogy.com/178facd.html

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2010 15:26

do you have forenames?

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 18 Apr 2010 15:52

Yes I do Ann.

The father was Richard Wilmshurst born c1767, a tailor from London. Don't know the name of his wife, who possibly could have died in the US after 1807.

Offspring were: Louisa c 1794 Baltimore, Amelia c1795, Mary c1798 New York, Matilda c1802 New York, William c1806 New York, Harriet c1807 New York, plus a couple more girls born before the 1800 census.

I think that Richard and family arrived in Baltimore at the time of a journeyman tailor's strike and an epidemic of Yellow Fever, so he would have promptly moved up the coast to New York.

The family were back in London for Amelia's 1817 wedding and I would bet it was because of the outbreak of hostilities between the US and Britain in 1812 that caused them to return.

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Apr 2010 16:01

If you google Italian Genealogical Group you'll find lots of information for births, marriages and deaths in New York. I found several, none of whom were Italian.