Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need some help with the following family:

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 13:04

Alice Thompson was born about 1815 in Liverpool. She was the daughter of Walter Graham Thompson, a mariner. I think her mother's name was Elizabeth Downey,

ALICE THOMPSON
Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
22 OCT 1815 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WALTER THOMPSON
Family
Mother: ELISABETH

Alice married in 1835 so was with her husband on the 1841 census, I was hoping someone may help me find out more about her parents.

To complicate things, I found this on Lancashire OPR which suggests Walter may have remarried.

Marriage: 13 Sep 1835 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Walter Thompson - Mariner of Liverpool
Ellen Garrott - Widow of Liverpool
Married by Banns by: Montague Hawtrey Curate
Register: Marriages 1835, Page 14, Entry 528
Source: LDS Film 1068891

Any help, greatly appreciated

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 14:21

If you are sure of her father's name, you could check his signature on both marriage registers to see if they match.
Let's hope he could write......
Was he a witness when Alice married...hopefully that signature will match too.

Gwyn

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 14:48

Thank you Gwyn and Carol. yes they both help :) Thank you so much.

Sorry was just checking the first marriage - it's hard to read but I think it's his own signature, it's his wife Elizabeth who left her mark

I'll have to compare signatures when I view the other marriage.

The evidence is getting stronger towards Elizabeth Downey definitely being her mother. (Walter is a mariner on their marriage as well as Elizabeth's mother being called Alice. It seems like my ancestor was named after one of her grandmothers)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 17:06

I was wondering whether there was any sign of Walter on the 1841 or 1851 census?

According to free bmd, these are the deaths for Walter Thompson

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

Deaths Jun 1839 (>99%)
THOMPSON Walter West Derby 20 800

Deaths Jun 1848 (>99%)
Thompson Walter W Derby 20 805

Deaths Mar 1858 (99%)
Thompson Walter Liverpool 8b 161

Deaths Dec 1859 (>99%)
Thompson Walter W Derby 8b 280

I wish they would list the ages. It may be that Walter died before the 1841 census.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 17:29

I was going to ask if he was a witness at his daughter's wedding, ...but he could still be any of those deaths....

Where did you get his name?

Gwyn

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 17:50

Hello Gwyn,

drat I posted out a long reply and lost it.

To sum up: Walter's name was listed on his daughter Alices's second marriage. He wasn't a witness (that was her daughter and son in law) and he wasn't listed as deceased but I know from experience that they don't always say whether someone has died or not.

On Alice's first marriage he isn't listed and I don't recognise the names of the witnesses.

On his own (1st marriage) the witnesses were Robert? Cooke? and William Downey....I'll have to look for that Downey connection.

I hate the fact that they don't give any ages, the names are so common on that branch of the family, i've hardly been able to track down any deaths.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 18:03

Ah...Thank goodness for 2nd marriages to take us past the 1837 date for father's name being recorded.

Gwyn

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 18:19

It took me a while to track her down. I thought she may have died earlier than she did. (Have just sent off for her death cert) However, thank goodness for Lancashire bmd (I think it was there I found her marriage listed under her married and maiden name).

She married a Jones.....I laughed when I saw it. Just to add to my collection of common surnames on that branch of the family. Yes I've got Smiths as well and several other common surnames.

I saw my extended family from that branch the other day and I felt a bit of a fraud as having genealogy as a hobby as I never could find out what happened to the ancestors on that branch. I've got generations and generations of missing deaths and people missing on census records. I can't even tell my gran when her grandparents died or where they are buried.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 18:35

I'll swop you a few DAVIES...?
married to DAVIES of course !

I hope the cert is helpful.

Gwyn

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 18 Apr 2010 19:31

Thanks Gwyn, I'm not sure the cert will give me any more than I know, (I found her on the census records and found her burial) I was just happy to find a death cert for her (that sounds wrong doesn't it?) She was in her eighties when she died so I suspect she died of natural causes.

Davies......hah that sounds easy.....I've dealt with a whole village of people marrying each other with the same surnames lol Well ok..... all the families helped but we untangled them eventually lol

However, I've not done very well at all in tracking down this branch. The Thompsons are a twig that comes off a bigger branch further down if that makes sense. I may have another push at trying to find out what happened to them.