Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible to get date of death from this ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 18 Apr 2010 16:31

Hello, I hope someone can answer me this..
I have the vol and page no of my Grandmothers death..I have not sent for cert yet,,
But is it possible to find the correct date of death from these..not just the last quarter of 1947?
Thankyou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Apr 2010 16:39

I'm sorry, but I believe that you have to buy the certificate to get exact date.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2010 16:39

IF your family used a particular church and you could search the burial register, ..or ask for similar for a local cemetery, you might be able to get a date, but it would be quite a long way of doing things.
If the person left a will, similarly you might be able to check in a Will index as you know the approximate time frame. Date of death would be shown there, I think.

Gwyn

Christine

Christine Report 18 Apr 2010 19:02

Hi,Thankyou for your help, I was just wondering if I could have found it another way,As I wanted to contact a library to see if they could find the burial place for me.....But I needed the exact date,,
Never mind , I must send for the death cert..
Many thanks
Christine

Christine

Christine Report 18 Apr 2010 22:48

PigletsPal, This game to me is hard..but I love it...
One day ..I will be much better than I am now,I wont give up..
I dont even know what a postem is !!! ...but am willing to learn..

Christine

Christine Report 18 Apr 2010 23:38

Many thanks
Christine

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Apr 2010 00:25

Hi Christine,

A postem is like a post it note that you can add to the freebmd site.

When you have found the Birth, Marriage or Death record and have bought the certificate you can go back to freebmd and add the details that are on the certificate....such as the full dates, parents names or witnesses and help save other people from having to buy the certificates as well.

Hopefully you will then find a postem on a record of one of your ancestors one day and not have to send for the certificate!

That's the general idea anyway.

Hope that helps to explain it Christine.

Kind regards,
Cathy

Christine

Christine Report 19 Apr 2010 11:31

Hi Cathy,
Thankyou for taking the time to explain that to me...and brilliantly too !!
I am very grateful,
Many thanks
Christine
p.s You have made me feel so much better,

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Apr 2010 18:34

You're very welcome Christine.........

Glad to be of help and if I can help with anything else just let me know.

Kind regards,
Cathy

Christine

Christine Report 19 Apr 2010 18:40

Hello Cathy..
Oh thankyou so much , thats so kind of you..
I might just take you up on your offer !!!
Many thanks
Christine

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 19 Apr 2010 21:23

Have you posted on GR to see if anyone will look up the burials in that area for the last quarter of 1947? Depending on the number of burials in that area (church), someone may be willing to look it up for you.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Apr 2010 22:01

Hello ,
I Never thought it possible for someone to do that.....
To be honest, I am a bit nervous to ask , I felt a bit stupid asking what I did on this thread....But there are some lovely kind people on here..
Thankyou very much
Christine

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 19 Apr 2010 22:05

It's true that you might not get anyone willing to look it up for you, but if you don't ask.......

Do you know where the person is buried as that may help?

By the way, there's no such thing as a stupid question. If there is, then I've asked them all first :)

Christine

Christine Report 19 Apr 2010 22:19

What a lovely thing to say...bless you.
My Grandmother Lily Lowther ..died at Kelloe Durham ( I am told in her home)...I thought the Church miight be St Helens...I go there nearly every year
Thankyou for your kind words
Christine