Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Florida BMD certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JanieH

JanieH Report 19 Apr 2010 14:50

Would be interested to hear if anyone living in UK has obtained bmd certs from united states.

I am thinking of ordering a death cert from Florida hoping that the death would have been registered by a relative but it looks expensive!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Jane

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 19 Apr 2010 17:03

It won't tell you ho registered the death but have you looked on the social security death index? That will give last residence and d.o.b.
If you post details I will have a look for you.
Pat

JanieH

JanieH Report 19 Apr 2010 17:16

Thanks Pat
I have actually got the SSD number so have last address and dob. I had hoped that the death cert would give name of person registering the death or some other useful information. Sounds as though I was wrong.
Thanks anyway you've saved me £50 cost of sending for death cert!
Jane

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Apr 2010 17:29

Don't know how you were planning to get the d.cert, but it should cost $5
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_eval/vital_statistics/deaths.htm

JanieH

JanieH Report 19 Apr 2010 17:41

Hi mgnv
I wouldn't mind paying $5, but that is if you have a US address, otherwise I think you have to use a company called VitalChek which charges $56.50 - bit of a difference!
Thanks anyway, Jane

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 19 Apr 2010 20:06

Sorry Janie, I meant the SSDI won't give you the name of the informant not the death cert - I would think that would :-)

JanieH

JanieH Report 19 Apr 2010 21:03

Oops sorry Gypsy I misunderstood, think I must have been having a senior moment! I thought US death certs should have that info on them.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Jane