Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquest reports

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 19 Apr 2010 20:57

I've received a death cert today for a relative who died in a mining accident in 1962.
Under "signature, description & resident of informant" it states inquest held 21st June 1962 and 29th June 1962. Apart from local press archives is there any other way I can view the inquest reports?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Apr 2010 21:09

Hi,
You could try the local record office or archives to see if any legal papers were deposited there that are viewable..

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Apr 2010 21:52

hi
how long is the closure rule as i was going to see if my grandfathers was at the archives when i next go he died in 1942
sharon

Sue C

Sue C Report 19 Apr 2010 21:57

There is a 75 year closure period on the viewing of inquest records.

However if the record has survived and is less than 75 years old, it is down to the present day coroner to allow permission for it to be viewed. This is only likely to be granted if the record is not too far below the 75 years closure.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Apr 2010 22:12

Record Offices or Archives may hold Inquest registers but that will give little more than what will appear in newspapers,,date etc,
You need a good cause and be a close relative to have access to any if survival Coroners Inquest papers,as said 75 year closure.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 19 Apr 2010 22:22

I agree with Joan, the local newspapers are a good source.

I was able to read the account of my ancestors inquest in the local paper through Lancashire libraries on line . My ancestor was run over by a cab. It gave witness accounts and even the fact she refused to go to hospital until forced to by a police officer. Apparently she drank a brandy 'very heartily' just before being taken to the hospital.

Chris

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Apr 2010 22:28

thankyou sharon

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 19 Apr 2010 22:29

Thanks to you all - John would have been my great uncle. I think my first step has to be looking at local press records - will do that in next few days & see where it gets me. Seems that only deaths involving five or more are recorded on the mining website and he not there as less than 5 involved.
Seems very tragic that cause of death is recorded as "deceased died from asphyxia from compression of the chest accidentally sustained as the result of being crushed by a fall of stone".
How awful that sounds.....

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 20 Apr 2010 06:02

I would certainly recommend Newspapers they have been an invaluable source for me.. An account of an inquest provided me with evidence that I thought would never find, as to the identity of my illegitimate great grandfather's, Father. As he had been called to identify the body and when asked his relationship to the deceased stated that the person in question was his father.