Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Correct way to include siblings who marry siblings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Justin

Justin Report 19 Apr 2010 21:42

Hi, my grandfather married my grandmother. My grandfather's sister married my grandmother's brother. In this instance, my grandfather is listed twice in my family tree. Is there a correct way to reference him? I have him entered twice (once as my grandfather and as a result he often comes up as 2 matches when genesreunited performs the hot matches function.

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Apr 2010 21:48

hi justine
i dont know how to do it but i have the same problem john sweeting to elizabeth cousins and james cousins to mary sweeting

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Apr 2010 23:17

You can't do it properly on the Genes tree. If you have another software program where you keep your tree (like Family Tree Maker), that will let you enter them properly and then you can create a gedcom and import it into Genes.

I think this is right be I'm happy to be corrected if it's not.

Kath. x

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 20 Apr 2010 01:10

This problem is not just confined to brothers and sisters marrying into the same family. In my dutch family My grandfather and grandmother where related and it seemed common practice in this family to marry their 1st and 2nd cousins. For instance my great grandfather married his niece. So my tree has many double ups and I have had to right numerous notes to this effect.

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 20 Apr 2010 01:28

Justin

See the thread "Linking one person on two branches" which I have nudged up for you.

Michael

Justin

Justin Report 20 Apr 2010 15:38

Many thanks for that. Have checked it out and realised it wasn't just me being a bit dim!

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Apr 2010 15:55

I go to edit to copy one spouse to another & vice versus, then add a note to each to search other entry for further family members.