Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 census search please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 20 Apr 2010 09:58

Can somebody please look up the 1851 census in Brentford, Twickenham for William COXEN b 1841 in Twickenham, and tell me who the other people are in the household? There are 17 COXENs in Twickenham in this census, but I dont know who goes in which household. I am hoping to find who William's parents and siblings are.

Many thanks. I might be going to bed in an hour or so but will certainly look in again in the morning, in about 9 hours.

Huia in New Zealand.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Apr 2010 10:01

Possibly:

1851 England Census

Name: William Coxen
Estimated birth year: abt 1841
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Twickenham, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: Twickenham
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Brentford
Sub-registration district: Isleworth

William Coxen 36
Mary Coxen 27
William Coxen 10
Eliza Coxen 5
Caroline Coxen 3

All born Twickenham. Father is a Waterman - and the "street" is Waterside! There are a couple of neighbours who are fisherman and waterman. Had a peek further back and there is a Cross Deep and a Waterside House. I wonder which river this is?

Huia

Huia Report 20 Apr 2010 10:19

Thank you Jean. The river would be the Thames as my atlas shows that running past Twickenham.

1841 William became a sailmaker in the Royal Navy so sailing was in the blood. He married my gt grandfathers sister and I am researching for a young descendent of his, in Canada. There are so many Coxen's in that general area and without (free) access to the census it makes it difficult for me to sort out the families. I presume they are all related though.

Huia.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Apr 2010 10:25

Have you already got this? William is a waterman so a good chance it is them:

1841 England Census

Name: William Coxen
Estimated birth year: abt 1841
Where born: Middlesex, England

Civil parish: Twickenham
Hundred: Isleworth
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Brentford
Sub-registration district: Twickenham

William Coxen 25
Mary Coxen 19
William Coxen 4 Mo
Mary Washington 75

Huia

Huia Report 20 Apr 2010 10:34

Thanks again. I cant remember if I looked for him in 1841. I couldnt find him in 1861 or 1871 but he might have been at sea. In 1881 I found him and his wife Maria and children Lucy, William and Ada in Kingston, Hampton. William died in 1890 so isnt in any more, but wife Maria and 7 of their 8 children are in the same place in 1891 (I knew the names and years of birth of the children so was able to search them individually on here). My relative will be pleased with what we have found.

Huia.