Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with uploading tree to Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Apr 2010 17:39

Hi,
I'm going to upload my tree from Family Tree Maker version 2010 to Ancestry. I'm going to go private, as I'm only doing this to let another relative have access to it, through the guest thingy.

I've seen the button where you do it, but it has 4 boxes to tick.
Privatize living people
Include private facts
Include private notes
Include media files

I presume I tick all four boxes?

Jan

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Apr 2010 22:55

Thanks very much EKM.

Jan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Apr 2010 06:40

Are you talking about the boxes on FTM? Is so no, export everything in full
You do your privatisation on Ancestry.

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Apr 2010 10:23

Hi InspectorGreenPen,
Yes, I'm talking about the boxes on FTM - I've never uploaded to Ancestry before.
On the top right hand corner of FTM you have share, I click on that and it says upload to Ancestry. Thats where it has the four boxes I need to tick - as I want to go private, I presume I tick all four boxes?
My relative says that I could then invite her as a guest to see my tree. Although EKM tells me that I would need to make my relative editor so she can see my notes too.

Jan

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 Apr 2010 10:33

I would upload your tree to Ancestry first and then customise it.

It is not written in stone, you can change things. Initially my tree was public but now I have changed it to private. When I invite people to my tree, I can make them, guest, contributor or editor. Only the editor can alter things a guest can only look at your tree.

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Apr 2010 10:46

RutlandBelle,
Thanks very much - its more clearer for me now. I'll upload it this afternoon when I have more time.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2010 05:42

Sorry I wasn't too clear. I was trying to say don't privatise on FTM and export everything in full as the other contributors have advised. Then set your preferences on Ancestry.

Personally I never allow others to add or modify my Ancestry tree. View only.

Jan.

Jan. Report 22 Apr 2010 09:55

Thanks to everyone for your help. I took the bull by the horn and uploaded my tree onto Ancestry yesterday afternoon.
InspectorGreenpen - I decided not to tick the private button on FTM, and now that I have uploaded my tree and had a browse around, I understand what I'm doing now, and have ticked the privacy button on Ancestry, and invited my relative as a guest.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Jan