Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carly

Carly Report 20 Apr 2010 21:29

Hi just wondering if anyone can help please. I'm just starting on the challenge of tracing family and I'm already stuck!!! I'm trying to trace my grandfather who I believe was born in either Edinburgh or Aberdeen, but when I search the records they never provide any Scottish options. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I can find when he was born and obtain a certificate please. I think he was born c1930.

I know he served in the army and where he was stationed in the early 50's but I seem to get stumped by army records.

I've managed to locate his marriage certificate which I can order but wondered if there was another way of tracing his birth certificate in Scotland.

Also for future reference I believe my Grandmothers parents were Irish - so am I going to come across the same challenges here too??

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Carly

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Apr 2010 21:35

Scotlandspeople which is a pay to view site

Scotland stick to 100 year rule for viewing birth certs online - but scotlandspeople would give you the info needed to order a cert for £10 if within the 100 years

Carly

Carly Report 20 Apr 2010 21:47

Thanks for your help - on that website now

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Apr 2010 23:35

A Scottish b.cert has parents' marr details, which helps trace that.

In case it's Irish, then unless it's post-partition N. Ireland, look up at:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
[Use "Browse our record collection" link]

You can order Irish BMDs (or cheaper still, uncertified rego images) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Carly

Carly Report 22 Apr 2010 09:35

Thanks for your help - i've ordered a couple of certificates - one english birth and one english marriage - hopefully from there I can get more information.

Do you have any top tips on searching people - I know at some point I need to purchase certificates and I've seen the thread for the freebmd site. I can just see going forward that I may have to keep purchasing certificates which could become very expensive!!

Thanks in advance