Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone help finding a death please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 21 Apr 2010 00:03

Can someone try to find a death registration for me please. I have searched without any luck hopefully another pair of eyes will have better luck.
I'm searching for:
Mary E Canty born 1920, married William Lewis 1942.
Died in Deptford/Lewisham or surrounding area in the 1960's. Sorry I can be more specific.
Thanks anyone.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Apr 2010 03:40

Did she remarry? There's a marriage for a Mary E Lewis in 1951 in Deptford.

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 21 Apr 2010 20:15

Hi Rose,
No she didn't remarry, she was murdered in the 60's whilst still married to Wm. Lewis. The murder was a shooting in the area of Deptford or surrounding areas.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Apr 2010 20:24

I can't see anything that would say yes thats her

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2010 20:30

Can't find it at all. There is this but doesn't seem likely:

Name: Mary Lewis
Birth Date: 1916
Death Registration Month/Year: 1973
Registration district: St Pancras
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5d
Page: 2031

Have you gone down the route of looking for newpaper reports? At least that would narrow down when it took place.

Jan

Julie

Julie Report 21 Apr 2010 20:42

The gap between Deptford & Lewisham is quite far, well i wouldn't walk it lol...is there anyone you can ask exactly where it happened

Linda

Linda Report 21 Apr 2010 21:28

This lady was my husbands aunt, he has limited memories of it but thinks he was in his teens when this happened.

I've been questioning my husband and he now thinks, she was either divorced or living apart from Wm. Lewis at the time of her death, doesn't think she remarried but may have reverted to her maiden name. The Canty family were Turf Accountants and he thinks that was something to do with her death.

As far as newspapers I need to get a little nearer to the date before searching, I think a ten year period is probably too long a period to search but I would have expected it to make the National's and at least the South London Press.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Apr 2010 21:39

There is nothing for a Mary Canty 1965 +/- 5 years in London

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2010 21:44

I even tried the married name as suggested by Rose and no luck.
Not sure this happened quite as your husband recalls it.
Might other family members have some clues?
Jan