Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

US ARMY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gareth

Gareth Report 21 Apr 2010 16:26

My Grandfather arrived on board a ship called Devon City to NYC USA on 05/04/1930 I have his Declaration of Intention Cert.

He jumped ship and joined the US Army and i understand he was in there for around 10 years untill he came back to Cardiff, Wales and married my Grandmother.
I have pictures of him in the Army but have no idea about his regiment or his service record ?
I have him living at 25 South Street NYC in 1930
and thats about it I also have the ships record !
Who can i contact for records of millitary service USA?
Who would know the regiment from the photos ?
He was based on the now called Liberty Island then called Fort Hood i beleave or Wood.
Anyway im going to NYC in July has anyone done research there before ? any tips ?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Apr 2010 19:18

Have a look at the NARA website here for information

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Gareth

Gareth Report 23 Apr 2010 08:10

Thanks ill try that today