Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bishop Transcripts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 22 Apr 2010 12:39

Hi can anyone tell me the difference between the bishop transcripts and the parish registers please

I had been looking for my Thomas Beckley for ages and on the cholesbury parish registers I could not find him but I decided to look at the bishop transcripts the other day and he appeared very clearly 1737 born to Thomas and Elizabeth
#
can anyone explain this please

thank you

Ann

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Apr 2010 13:11

BT's are a copy of what was entered up in the Parish Registers,what you have to remember lots of Parish Registers have been lost.or destroyed by time....water.fire.

Some churches got left dis-used and all material was lost that way....

RobG

RobG Report 22 Apr 2010 13:32

In theory (!!) there should be no difference. The BTs were copies of the parish registers that were sent to the Bishop once a quarter (I think). However, the "in theory" bit falls apart because original registers may have been lost over time or the BTs may just contain additional/less/different information (the vicar may have added something when he was making the copies for the BTs for instance). Therefore it is always worth checking if BTs exist, and looking at those if they do, as they might just have an extra snippet that may unlock a mystery.

Ann

Ann Report 22 Apr 2010 13:35

thank you all for that information in future if I cannot find what I want to where I expect I will look in bishop transcripts.

thank you

Ann