Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RUSSIAN GENEALOGY & JUDAISM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 22 Apr 2010 16:50

FOR A RETIREMENT PRESENT I AM SEEKING TO BUILD A CLOSE COLLEAGUES FAMILY TREE BUT I AM GETTING STUMPED, HIS NAME IS EDMUND ISRAEL B.1949, WHICH IS KINDA FINE, DAD HENRY 1900 SPITALFIEDS. ITS HIS MOTHERS WHICH IS A PAIN CAMILLA E RODKER, HER FATHER JOHN CLAIMED POLISH EXTRACTION, BUT APPARENTLY BORN MANCHESTER1894, CLASSED AS FOREIGN?? HIS DAD DAVID BORN 1872 WAS BORN IN RUSSIA, FOUND HIM IN 1901 CENSUS WITH SON JACK AGED 5?.
? IS JACK A PET FORM FOR JACOB?
? IF A JEWISH PERSON MARRIED A RUSSIAN, WOULD THEY BE MORE THAN LIKELY JEWISH TOO?
? I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE ABOUT 2 VARIANTS OF JEWS 1 I THINK IS ANZAKS...WAS THIS THE RUSSIAN SIDE??
? IS THE POLISH LINK ONLY BECAUSE AT THAT TIME ANYONE OF RUSSIAN DESCENT CLAIMED TO BE POLISH BECAUSE OF THE POLITICAL CLIMATE AT THE TIME:?
? VARIANT SPELLINGS OF RODKER, SHOULD I SEEK RUDGER, RUDEKOR, IS THERE ANY OTHER?
IS THERE MUCH LIKELIHOOD OF TRACING A RUSSIAN LINE FURTHER THAN A FATHERS ABODE ON A SHIPS LIST???
THANX FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, INFO AND COMMENTS.

Astra

Astra Report 22 Apr 2010 17:43

Camilla Rodker
Mother's Maiden Surname: Butts
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1920
Registration district: Hampstead
Registration county: Greater London
Volume Number: 1a
Page Number: 985

Marriage

Camilla E Rodker
Spouse Surname: Israel
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1947
Registration district: Paddington
Registration county (inferred): London
Volume Number: 5d
Page Number: 480

Astra

Astra Report 22 Apr 2010 17:45

Marriages Jun 1918 (>99%)
Rodker John Butts Hampstead 1a 1462

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Apr 2010 17:45

Jack is usually the 'pet' form of John

I would say it is much more likely that a Jewish person would marry a Jew, Judaism passes down through the maternal side.

There are Ashkenazy and Sephardic Jews .
"Ashkenazic Jews are the Jews of France, Germany, and Eastern Europe and their descendants. Sephardic Jews are the Jews of Spain, Portugal, North Africa and the Middle East and their descendants. "

Astra

Astra Report 22 Apr 2010 17:46

You should have added this to your other Rodker thread otherwise people end up doing the same research twice.

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Apr 2010 17:55

This might be a good place to look

http://www.jewishgen.org/

Putting in the name Rodker , Poland in search brings a lot of results... Rotgar being another alternative spelling ?

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Apr 2010 18:50

I think the interchangability of your mobs use of Russian and Polish is a consequence of Poland being a Russian province at the time in question.

The Kingdom of Poland was formed in the 10th cent, and confederated with Lithuania, controlled the Baltic states, Ukraine and Belarus, plus bits of Russia. Catherine the Great, in conjunction with Prussia and Austria, partitioned Poland between the three states, and from the late 18th cent thru 1917 (apart from a short lived Napoleonic interlude as the
Duchy of Warsaw) most of modern Poland was a Russian province. During WW1, the Germans occupied Poland, and acquired its territory by the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk when the Russians were defeated. Modern Poland was created following the German defeat in 1918 (creation of an independent Poland and the Baltic states was one of Woodrow Wilson`s 14 points). An attempt by the Russians to reacquire Poland was beaten off decisively in the early 1920s.

Perchino

Perchino Report 22 Apr 2010 21:25

Two main areas of settlement in Manchester were Cheetham Hill and Prestwich with strong connections to the textile trades. Jewish families often have scrolls detailing lineage. Try typing the surnames into your search engine and it's amazing what turns up. If you have the name of a place eg Rodker of Warsaw (say) it's even better. There is a Jewish Museum in London which has a very good website.
Russian connection is more difficult to follow as the Russian calendar had different years from ours but if you can identify the occupations it is often the better line to follow. If you pm me with what you have on the Russian side I will have a try.

Tracey

Tracey Report 23 Apr 2010 05:22

THANKYOU CHAPS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND AND INFORMATION WHICH IS VERY INTERESTING, I SHALL CERTAINLY TRY OUT SOME OF YOUR TIPS AND SEE WHAT TURNS UP.