Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eccleston/Ecclestone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Apr 2010 22:48

My. gt grandmother Isabella Eccleston bn 1877 St Helens Lancashire, died 1951. Married twice Barret and Summer.
On the 1891 census I think she is living with her Aunt and Uncle Thomas and Ellen Goulding, in St Helens.
On the 1881 census with Parents John and Maria. Eccleston, yet John was married to Isabella Holcroft (I think). they are living at 44 York St St Helens, yet at 58 York St John and Maria Ecclestone are living with the Gouldings, how do I know which is correct family. Any help,please, thank you

Libby22

Libby22 Report 22 Apr 2010 23:29

Why do you think John's wife was Isabella Holcroft? Is it possible Isabella died and he later married a Maria?

Libby22

Libby22 Report 22 Apr 2010 23:38

An Isabella Eccleston died in 1878 Apr-Jun qrt, age 38. The death was registered in Prescot which was the registration district for St Helens.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 Apr 2010 23:52

On the 1881 censu image the John and Maria living with the Goulding's have an E on the end of Ecclestone.

The other John and Maria Eccleston that have Isabella,the suname is without the E.

Netty

Netty Report 22 Apr 2010 23:57

Hi Carol, Sorry, it was me that deleted above,

1st marriage ?

Marriages Dec 1856 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eccleston John Wigan 8c 47
Holtcroft Isabella Wigan 8c 47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death of Isabella ?

Jun 1878

ECCLESTON Isabella 38 Prescott 8b 474

2nd marriage ?

Marriages Dec 1878 (>99%)

DANIELS Mary Wigan 8c 114
DARBYSHIRE Maria Wigan 8c 114 <<
ECCLESTON John Wigan 8c 114 <<
Litherland Thomas Wigan 8c 114

Sorry, had to edit, GR playing up for some reason, not posting what i'm writing !.

Kate

Kate Report 23 Apr 2010 00:12

Just for reference, the Lancashire online parish clerk site has a marriage for a John Eccleston (aged 21, bachelor from Upholland) to Isabella Holtcroft (aged 18, spinster from Upholland) on 27 Oct 1856 at All Saints, Wigan. His dad is Samuel (deceased) and her dad is Joseph. There is a witness called Esther Holtcroft - could be her sister?

Carol

Carol Report 23 Apr 2010 15:09

Hi, Thank you all for your replies, I have already a lot of the information but what I dont understand is, John and Maria Ecclestone living with the gouldings in 1881, at 58 York St. St.Helens, Also John,Maria and Isabella Eccleston living at 44 York St. st. Helens.
1891 census Isabella living with the Gouldings. Cant find John and Maria??? So which ones are her parents. Eccleston or Ecclestone????
And where do the Gouldings come in to the family tree???

Thank you

Carol

Mary

Mary Report 23 Apr 2010 16:15

John Eccleston died 1884 that is probably why isabella is with aunt and uncle.
So John married Isabella and daughter isabella born 1876 and her mum died 1878 and John then married Maria Darbyshire 1878.

I deffinately think there is only one John Eccleston who married twice.

Maryb

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Apr 2010 16:24

Have you considered that they appear on the census twice.
John Eccleston Maria abt 1835 St Helens, Lancashire, England Head Windle, Lancashire
View Record
John Ecclestone abt 1835 St Helens, Lancashire, England Brother in Law Windle, Lancashire
In my opinion it is the same couple.

Carol

Carol Report 24 Apr 2010 09:24

Thank you all, it must be same family, but on census twice.....I dont really think it matters, trying to complete my family tree for fathers day to give to my dad who is 86 and helped me a lot with research.

Thank you