Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Union Workhouse Bedford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Apr 2010 09:01

My G.G.Grandfather Frederick Charles Warren was born in the workhouse June 1851. His mother was Sarah Warren and initial assumption is she is unmarried but does not say this on birth certificate. I am struggling to find either of them on 1861 or 1871 census. Frederick was baptised 1855 with mother as Sarah Warren. Is it possible to get records from the workhouse which would show her as being there and marital status. I would really like to take this family back further.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 Apr 2010 09:07

Wendy, I assume there is no father named on the birth cert - so she was certainly unmarried. It won't give marital status of mother on any birth cert.
Will have a look for them in 1861/71 - do you have either of them after this?

Googled "workhouse records bedford" and found this site, might be worth a look:

users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Bedford

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 Apr 2010 09:35

Struggling with this one. Maybe he didn't stay with her?

1861 England Census

Name: Fredrick Warren
Estimated birth year: abt 1853
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Hawnes, Bedfordshire, England

Civil parish: Bedford St Peter
Town: Bedford
County/Island: Bedfordshire

Registration district: Bedford
Sub-registration district: Bedford and Kempston

John Martin 24
Mary A Martin 23
Fredrick Warren 8

Maybe Mary was his Aunt?

Marriages Dec 1859 (>99%)
Bentley Mary Ann Bedford 3b 771
Bunker David Bedford 3b 771
Martin John Bedford 3b 771
Warren Mary Ann Bedford 3b 771

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Apr 2010 17:47

That's very true Joan, one of my relatives died in a work house but he was only using their hospital. It gave his usual residence where he and his family were living at the time. They were not destitute and therefore he was not ann inmate.

One of my other relatives died in a workhouse. I couldn't find any mention of her in the workhouse records at the time she died. I did suspect she had moved there in her old age but I think I need to check whether she used the workhouse as a hospital too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2010 01:28

Very true, Joan.
My grandmother (born 1904) and all her 9 siblings were born in the workhouse. At the time, it was the only place where you could get a doctor for free!
True, my g grandmother wasn't married to my g grandfather (ship' s steward - quite a good job) at the time (they married when his first wife died - 21 years later!) but his name is on all the birth certs, and she is known as 'Mrs--'

Wendy

Wendy Report 25 Apr 2010 10:10

Thank you all for your advice. Frederick's birth certificate gives his mother's address as the work house. I found a 1851 census record of a 16 year old Sarah living in Bedford with parents, which may be linked (unmarried mother bring disgrace on the family and being thrown out).
Frederick is on the 1881 and later census living in London Middlesex with wife Alice and children. I am now looking into all scenarios regarding Sarah and hoping that something may appear out of the wilderness which will put me on the right road to breaking through this brick wall. Thank you all again.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Apr 2010 12:33

Wendy, have you thought about the 1861 entries above?
Jan

Wendy

Wendy Report 25 Apr 2010 13:32

Hi brummiejan
This is one scenario I will look into, brothers, sisters, cousins etc. If Sarah came from Bedford herself then there would be family of some sort in the area and she may have left Frederick with them. She may also have married and he could have used her husbands name for a while. I have a lot of research to cover but it is something I am determined to solve one day.
Thanks
Wendy