Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's the definition of a gentleman?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Apr 2010 09:37

One of my ancestors was listed as a gentleman (I think twice - once on his wife's death and once on his daughter's marriage) Both took place in the late 1850s.

It's interesting that the daughter whose marriage I refer to was the daughter who registered her mother's death.

I presume she may have been confused about her father's status as she was about 8 when her father died and he was a head butler to a large Estate.

However, not knowing what her father's background actually was (he may have fallen on hard times and worked as a butler?) and I don't know how they would define gentlemen in the 1850s, I am not discounting it out of hand.

So I am wondering what would have been the criteria was for a gentleman in the 1850s?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Apr 2010 09:40

I always thought it was someone of independent means who had income he didnt have to physically work for.
The Old Occupations site has this as a defination:
Gentleman, Gentry; Aristocrat, whose income came from his land

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Apr 2010 09:59

Thanks very much Shirley :)

I didn't regard it as an occupation lol so didn't think of looking in the old occupations.

I suspect it was just the daughter growing up on an Estate and getting confused.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Apr 2010 10:04

Well the Head Butler had quite a status in the hierarchy of servants and some would have been very autocratic in their demeanor so would have come across as having status to others. Housemaids etc would have been very in awe of them

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Apr 2010 10:10

That's a very good point Shirley :) That sounds very reasonable to me.

I don't believe everything that is said by ancestors but I don't automatically discount them either just in case. lol

PS Sorry for the delay in answering you, I'm having problems with my internet connection today.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Apr 2010 14:15

Alas Piglet's Pal, my ancestor died whilst in service. By all accounts he depended upon his income. However, I can understand why your ancestor may have said that. I think one of his daughters though was of independent means. I'll have to check that.