Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree setup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 25 Apr 2010 08:30

I have an "unknown"details block beween my grandfather and grandmother in my tree but cannot delete this - I have clicked on "delete" button but cannot remove it - any ideas?

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Apr 2010 10:25

A lot of people are having trouble with their tree,so maybe a temporary problem.
Click on the "unknown "box,if there are any other people connected then you cannot delete.I am guessing you have a child connected.
Click on child and change parents.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Apr 2010 10:47

I don't think this is a problem with the software, it is a feature of how the tree works.

When you add a parent the system automatically adds a partner for you. I think what might have happened is that you have also added one too. The reason you can't delete it is that it has the children attached to it.

Two possible options.

Edit the details of the blank partner to be the correct ones and delete the other i.e. the one you have added.

or

Select each of the children and use the Change Parents option to move them to the correct relationshhip. Once you have done this for all the children you will be able to delete the "blank" entry

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 27 Apr 2010 06:27

Thanks Inspector GreenPen I have just been able to make the correction to my family tree. Kind regards Bob

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 27 Apr 2010 07:50

goodluck, I have been trying to change parents on my tree and have had no help whatsoever from Genes.Ridiculous that you cannot just delete a person(as you can on Ancestry)without having to delete several families and their offspring.Time for things to change at Genes or I fear you will lose a lot of customers!!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Apr 2010 08:23

Charlotte, like it or otherwise, the Genes Tree software has never allowed you to unlink a branch of your tree from the main body, which is effectively what happens if you delete a person with more than one connection.

Tree software such as FTM will allow this, and also has the options to create new links as necessary.

Accepting there are limitation with the GR tree, I only ever upload a gedcom from my FTM program so these sort of issues are no big deal. To me my GR tree is primarily a list of names which are there for other members to search on I don't expect it to have the same functions as a fully blown commercial program. Yes some things could be much improved, but I don't get worked up about it.

Granted, the Ancestry Tree has more functionality, but then their budget is many many times bigger.