Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Apr 2010 15:38

I have FTM 2005 and to be honest am very happy with it. Would you say FTM 2010 has any significant advantages over the 2005 version?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Apr 2010 16:08

It is a complete re-write, not an upgrade so the look and feel is completely different, much more windowsy, if there is such a word, so you need to use the mouse a bit more.

It does take a little bit of getting used to - I got a copy for Christmas and it took about half a day of playing about to feel altogether comfortable as some of the options aren't quite where you would expect them to be, or they work a bit differently.

Most of the old charts and reports are there and I quite like the option to produce book layout charts as well as the wallpaper ones you are used to - great for ancestor charts. Again you need to experiment and have a good play around get the best results from your charts and reports. For some of the charts you can create and save your own templates too either as the main default or as an extra favourite.

You can also save all your reports and charts within the program if you wish and retrieve a copy later.

As I said it a completely new program but well worth it from my point of view.

I still use FTM 2006 from time to time sometimes to look at a file or gedcom someone has sent, but 2010 is where my main tree is.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Apr 2010 16:26

windowsy lol I'm not sure I like that :) I'm a mac user but FTM is the only program that I "kept" from my windows days lol

I really should have changed to Reunion when i got my first Mac, it retrospect it would have been the best thing to do but I like the reports FTM generate and like the book option even though I never really use it. Besides I'd scanned a lot of my documents into the scrapbook.

The 2005 version can produce book layout charts too but perhaps the 2010 version is better.

You sound impressed, I may consider it once I've checked compatibility with my computer.

Thanks inspector :)