Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Researching Down a Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 26 Apr 2010 08:50

Hi,

I've started to build my family tree and seem to be doing ok with BMD and census going up the tree, but I'm not sure the best way to find out who had what children.

(This is when I find a new member higher up and want to come back down)

Can anyone help?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Apr 2010 10:03

Basically you use the same sources of information, BMD and Census records.

How sucessful you are will depend to an extent on the date that you want to start searching forward from, and on how common the name is.

Lets say we are starting from the mid 1800's Identify the family on the nearest census and use this as your start point.. Then move to the next census noting additions to the family as you go. I also check the BMD's at this point and record any references that I find. Continue to work you way through the censuses.

As you move forward, also make a note of any names that no longer appear on a subsequent census. This tells you that there is a possibility the person either died of got married. Again cross check back to the BMD for the period between the two censuses

If you suspect there has been a marriage, then check for the person on the next census If you find them check back to the BMD's to confirm the marriage and possible children.

Carry on with each branch you wish to research, working back and forth between censuses and BMD's as you go.

After 1911, you only have the BMD's to work from. however things are made a little easier as from Sept 1911, moithers maiden name is shown on births, and from March 1912, both names are shown on marriages.

Philip

Philip Report 26 Apr 2010 16:56

Thanks for replying, I kind of thought as much but wanted to be sure that I was approaching it the correct way.

I wasn't aware of the dates when more information is available so I'll keep that in mind which will help.

I'll try and dig a bit deeper now...

Appreciate the advice :)

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 26 Apr 2010 17:20

Don't forget to check names on any marriage or death certificates you might have - names that appear to be random witnesses on a marriage certificate can turn out to be family members when you look deeper into the family.

Similarly death certificates can sometimes throw up children you never knew existed or can give married names for daughters.