Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh pair of eyes please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 27 Apr 2010 04:52

I am trying to locate a baptism of James Neave born c1802 in Sutton Norfolk (according to all censuses) and have been looking through the parish records on familysearch, but the page for 1802 in very faded. Is it possible that one of you very kind people can read what it says, I've tried, but cannot decipher it. I have put the link below, but if that doesnt work, the page is in the baptisms for Sutton Norfolk 1802 page 29.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1416598&w=0

Thanks in advance
Jo x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Apr 2010 11:16

Jo

Difficult! But I would say he is not in the 1802 baptisms.

Whoever wrote up the register seems to use two lines per entry. So where the 1803 starts, towards the bottom of the page, I think the first two lines are for a Richard?? and then an 'unreadable' entry for the next two lines and after that it becomes fairly legible. Well legible enough to make out a James or Neave :-)

I don't think the 'unreadable' entry is for a James...The first word looks too long but I am more than willing to be corrected.

I wonder if it would be worth contacting the record office to see if they can produce a better copy?

Good luck
Chris

Potty

Potty Report 27 Apr 2010 11:48

Did a search on freereg for James but nothing came up. Transcription is said to be complete but there are these two notes:

There is significant water damage to the early registers and their transcription is incomplete. Please consult the following transcript from the Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society for entries in that period.

From a transcription of the original registers prepared about 1850 by Rev Procter and deposited with the Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 27 Apr 2010 12:05

Following on from Potty's excellent suggestion...

It looks as if it may have been deposited at the Norfolk RO.

From....http://www.nnas.info/library.html

'Please note that practically all of the Society's manuscript collection has now been deposited with the Norfolk Record Office, and can be consulted there under NRO reference numbers'

Chris

Helen

Helen Report 27 Apr 2010 12:08

For interest: Possible ?

JAMES NEAVE
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
13 JAN 1802
Christening:
24 JAN 1802 Smallburgh, Norfolk, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ROBERT NEAVE
Mother: RUTH JONES

Plus: 1. ANNE NEAVE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 04 MAY 1800 Smallburgh, Norfolk, England

Smallburgh is about 4 miles from Sutton.

Image:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1416598&w=0

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 28 Apr 2010 05:45

Thank you all very much for replying.

I will e mail NRO and ask them if they will check it for me.

Helen - Thanks for posting that James, I had found him and have it as a possible, but I believe my James to be the son of George Neave & Bridget Ward who were living at the time in Sutton. They have children George b1798, Marianne b1803. Bridget dies sometime after that and George marries again to Elizabeth Adams and have children Robert b1807, Jemima b1809, Keziah b1811 and Elizabeth b1814. So room for my James between George & Marianne. Why I also think these are his parents as my James called his children George (1st born), Robert, Jemima & Keziah, but cannot prove it without a baptism.

Thanks again
Jo x

Helen

Helen Report 28 Apr 2010 18:54

Think this may be another addition to the family.

Marianne Adams: Feb 1806.

Marianne, daughter of Elizabeth Adams was born Feb 1st and baptised Feb 7th.

No mention of George being the father.

pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1416598&w=0

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 29 Apr 2010 05:15

Hi Helen
Yes it looks like it is another addition. Elizabeth married George on the 20th April 1806. I will keep a note of it, I case I ever find James' baptism.

Thanks again
Jo x