Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding Arthur William Davies b 1910

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 2 May 2010 15:52

Hi

Since I started my family tree I had thought that I wouldn't be able to find my mother-in-law's father as he was adopted. However the 1911 census has provided further information and raised my expectations so wonder if anyone can now help as I'm still struggling:

His name is Arthur William Davies - listed as aged 1 in 1911 in Manchester, Lancs.

He was adopted by Enoch and Edith Passant and were living in Ettingshall, Wolverhampton.

I'm still struggling to find Arthur though.

Thanks in advance
Alli

Allison

Allison Report 2 May 2010 16:45

Really? How do you know that?

I was wondering whether he could be the Arthur W Davies registered in West Derby, Lancs in 1910 but then West Derby is more of a Liverpool area. I guess you could be right and I suppose if there was an issue around his birth that caused him to be adopted then it would be understandable if he was not registered.

Allison

Allison Report 2 May 2010 17:04

Many thanks for your reply - disappointing as it is that it's now certain that I'll never be able to trace this side of my family tree.

Alli

Ivy

Ivy Report 2 May 2010 17:05

This one might well show up as age 1 born Manchester on the 1911 census:

Name: Arthur William Davies
Year of Registration: 1909
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Chorlton
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 932 (click to see others on page)

Allison

Allison Report 2 May 2010 17:11

Can you track down adoption papers? How would you go about that? I thought it was not possible to get such information.

Thanks also Ivy - will think about requesting some of these local certificates just in case.

Allison

Allison Report 2 May 2010 20:13

Oh well, once again many thanks for trying to help - sorry for the time delay since the last message. I had to dish up the dinner!!

Alli

Joy

Joy Report 2 May 2010 22:10

Unfortunately, adoption did not become legal until 1926 and before then people just adopted informally.