Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How can I go forward in time and find other potent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 May 2010 18:46

Weird question I know but basically Im trying to work out how I can find out if my Great Grandfather had other children between 1921 - onwards with his 2nd wife? He had nothing to do with the our family when he re- married so we know nothing about his life.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Vicki

K

K Report 4 May 2010 19:01

It is possible to search for births using the father's surname and the wife's maiden name on FreeBDM or Ancestry. It helps if their surnames are more unsual and you know the area they lived in.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 4 May 2010 19:22

You really need Ancestry Victoria.

If you haven't got it and you know for sure that your gt grandfather and his 2nd wife have died, you could put their names nd likely area up here and we could have a look for you. If you aren't positive that they are both dead and you would like to PM me the details I will have a look and see what I can find.

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 May 2010 19:42

Thank you for your replies :-)

Christine2 I am sure they are dead and would be really grateful for some help.

Mothers name is Charlotte Marshall
Fathers name is Claude Harris

They got married in Hampshire and I know they ended up living in Bournemouth although inbetween I am unsure as he was in the army.

Thank you so much for your help.

I have tried using Ancestry (although I dont have an account) but I don't seem to be very good at using it.

Many Thanks

Vicki

Christine2

Christine2 Report 4 May 2010 20:14

I'm sorry Victoria but neither of the names are unusual and although there are dozens of Harris with mmn Marshall births non of them stand out as being in the right area. Though that doesn't mean there weren't any children of course as you say that he possibly moved around with the army. Unless you can find out any more detail I think it's going to be very difficult to find out.

There is a lady on here (besides yourself) who has a Claude Harris born Wiltshire. Have you tried contacting her, or do you already know who she is?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 May 2010 20:38

Thank you Christine2 - I am in contact with the other lady and it is the smae guy so I am narrowing down the search a little. Thank you very much for looking. Its possible they may not have had kids I guess as they were in their 30's when they got married and he already had 2 kids so maybe he didn't want anymore. This is certainly a puzzle :-)

Thank you again

Vicki

Ann

Ann Report 4 May 2010 20:45

Bit of a long shot from a beginner--would you find any info on places lived in (and thus local hospital/council records )though his Army history?Hope the idea can be of some use,though I wouldn't know how to put things into action!

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 5 May 2010 11:08

Hi Vicki

Do you actually have a copy of the marriage cert of Claud and Charlotte?

It's possible that it could have been a 2nd marriage for Charlotte also, in which case, if they had any children, you wouldn't be able to find them in the indexes using Marshall as the mmn.

Mary

K

K Report 5 May 2010 12:45

It is possible either of their death certificates may list a child as the informant

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 5 May 2010 13:09

For ref

Marriages Sep 1922 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COOKE Edgar Winkley S. Stoneham 2c 291
HARRIS Claud P Marshall S.Stoneham 2c 291
MARSHALL Charlotte A Harris S.Stoneham 2c 291
WINKLEY Marian V Cooke S. Stoneham 2c 291

GUESSWORK

Births Sep 1925 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harris Anthony J G Marshall Portsmouth 2b 862

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 5 May 2010 17:16

Possible death, given the area?

Name: Claude P Harris
Death Registration Month/Year: 1968
Age at death (estimated): 79
Registration district: Bournemouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 6b
Page: 179

Mary

Victoria

Victoria Report 5 May 2010 19:38

Thank you so much.

Ann - I had thought exactly the same as you but also have no idea how to go about getting his army records. I think I may have to ask around on here to find out where you would even start.
K - I have got Claude's death certificate as I also had the same thought. Charlotte is listed as the informant on his and I can't find the record for her but will keep looking as its a strong possibility that this might be a good source.
Contrary Mary - you know I hadn't actually considered that she may have been married before so I will get the certificate right away. Its a strong possibility as she was also in her 30's so she may well have been married before.

Thank you for all of your suggestions I have some more work to do before closing the book on this one.

If any of you know how I would go about finding army records please let me know as I have no idea :-)

Vicki

K

K Report 6 May 2010 17:42

I did come across this link to an Army Veterans website which explains how to order records. You do need the permission of the next of kin and after so long I am not sure how you would prove who this was

Good Luck Kay

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html