Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gedcom adivice plese

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet J

Janet J Report 7 May 2010 16:26

I shared my tree (and vice-versa) with a genuine family branch member from Gt.Gt Grand dads time.
In my Updates box, which was also found in my Spam box, I have 3 "gedcoms" from her to be downloaded.
Do I do this ??
The Surnames are not mine and all this members tree is exposed to me.
Is this normal on here?
Where to go next pleaseas I have checked the help / Faqs line and am confused..
Thank you Jan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 May 2010 18:07

n

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 May 2010 18:30

I don't understand the problem.

If the other member has sent you a gedcom then you must have given them your email address.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 May 2010 18:34

Janet why don't you contact this person again and ask if they sent you a Gedcom? I assume you are talking about your own personal e-mails. It is probably just your security programme being cautious. I know mine 'Kapersky' sometimes puts new mail into a spam folder

If they did and you think it is genuine then you will have to download it but will need a programme on your computer to see it properly eg Family Tree Maker or a free one from Family Search

Janet J

Janet J Report 7 May 2010 18:46

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes this lady has my mail address but doesn't always have access to a computer.
So I didn't just want to question / reply.
I was just being Cautious, should there be a "nasty" between the 2 of us.
And as it happens I have just upgraded my firewall/ etc.
Duh.....computers.
Many thanks as always and have a good week-end.
jan.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 May 2010 10:44

Just a thought.

Some spam filters don't recognise gedcom files (that is with the file extension .ged) and automatically quarantine them. If there is a setting somewhere than you could add .ged files to allow them through.

Otherwise if you have concerns, and this applies to any attachment you receive, then check it for viruses before you do anything with it.