Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you related to a child migrant

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 8 May 2010 10:39

If so its not too late to submit your child's story for an anthology to be published later this year in Canada

You can also submit poems, articles, diary entries, you could write about your journey in searching or if you knew that home child you could put down your memories,

Do you have a story to tell about your Home Child?

An Special Edition Anthology IV Book, to be published later this summer by Canadian Stories magazine, is a great opportunity for us to tell our stories and have them grouped together in one book, to acknowledge and honour our Home Children, and a wonderful keepsake and resource for 2010 Year of the British Home Child.

There is no limit for the length of your story and no deadline given yet.

You can include picture(s) which will be printed in black and white for the Anthology.

Please let me know if you are interested and I will give you the email addresses of those organizing it

George

George

George Report 12 May 2010 18:28

nudge as I have added a bit more to the original message

Terry

Terry Report 12 May 2010 20:07

i am intrested in home children address geo, do you want my e mail address thanks,
terry

George

George Report 12 May 2010 20:14

The only tips for anyone considering doing it that I have been given via my contact who has arranged this anthology is that the editor would like more longer stories, he has many short ones but not a lot of longer ones.

Use a catchy title, make it interesting or emotional in some way, describe your research journey, how you found out, did your child have siblings, if so you could talk about if they found each other again and how, you could describe how and why your child went into care etc,

Photos, poems, articles etc can all be submitted, there is no deadline date as yet

Any questions feel free to message me or post here and I will try and answer, if I can't I will attempt to find the answer via my contact

George

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 May 2010 22:37

hi george , i would be intrested i have my great uncles papers also letters written by him in 1907 and letters from family also his enlistment papers for 1st war for canada thanks tricia

George

George Report 15 May 2010 10:18

for all interested the deadline date is July 1st

George

George

George Report 9 Jun 2010 20:38

Can I just say it does not matter whether it was Middlemore Homes, Maria Rye, Salvation Army, Annie Macpherson, Catholic Emigration Association, Quarriers, Dr Barnardos, National Childrens Home, Fairbridge, YMCA, etc who brought your relative to Canada

George

George

George Report 22 Jun 2010 22:25

we are also building a comprehensive database on www.britishhomechildren.org of all child migrants sent to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, anybody is welcome to add a child to the database or claim a child currently in there, at the moment there are 9385 children listed, some have a descendant listed in their 'record' on there but the majority do not,

We are inputting names every day so please check the site regularly.

The sad thing is that some of these kids died in the war, died single, or did not have children so even if you are only distantly linked to a child migrant please think about claiming them

Thanks

George

Nick

Nick Report 23 Jun 2010 11:51

I think I have a homechild. Its just a family story. I have no documentation on the child, not even a definite census record.

Anyway, the story. My gt grandmother had a brother, born after 1891 and before 1895 in Bristol. His name was Fred or Frederick Smith. His father died in 1894 and mother in 1896. He was put in a childrens home and every weekend his sister, my gt grandmother would visit him and/or take him home for the weekend. One day she turned up, only to be told that Fred had been naughty and wasnt allowed out or to have visitors. This happened several weeks in a row, untill she was eventually told he had been sent Canada. That was the last she ever heard of him.

I'm not naive enough to believe this couldn't happen, but it just seems so callous. I realise the info is sketchy to say the least and his name isn't exactly unique, but any advise you can give on what step to take next would be gratefully received. My family would love to find out more about him.

Thanks
Nick

George

George Report 23 Jun 2010 13:09

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=111138&&PHPSESSID=94mg664avrfl2ierdm2pifank2

the Bristol Emigration society took many children from Bristol Workhouse and nearby orphanages to Canada, above is a possible match for your relative.

Would suggest contacting the people behind the website below:

http://www.bafhs.org.uk/shirley/about.htm

as they have access to records for Bristol Emigration Society children and may be able to assist you in establishing if it is him and what happened to him. Good Luck

George

Nick

Nick Report 23 Jun 2010 13:39

Thanks George, that looks promising. The dates match, as his sister was newly married when he disappeared(she married in 1902).

When he was 17 my grandad wanted to emigate to Canada but his mum(Freds sister) and dad refused to sign the paperwork saying 'they're not getting another one'

Again thank you
Nick