Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please for for a trip to a records office.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 May 2010 13:27

I am going to Bury st Edmunds records office next week. I have booked a fiche reader.
I have never been before and will probably be like a headless chicken. Can anyone give me advice on where to start.
I am hoping to get back further than rellies born 1810, including his siblings.
I am not sure where to start my searching.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Cheryl

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 May 2010 13:38

Check out their website in case you need a CARN ticket to use the records office. (County Archives Record Network or something similar it stands for)

Most offices you are not allowed pens

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 May 2010 14:07

Hi Glitter Baby.

Thanks for that. They told me to take a pencil and ID to get a card.

I wondered if anyone had a good plan of attack for me to use. The ladies do sound helpful, however they said they can only point me in the right direction as they have paid research requests to do for people too.

Thanks again

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 May 2010 14:18

Staff will direct you to Parish Registers,as that seems where you may need to be,these are on Fiche at nearly all RO,and be on hand for further help.

It does help them to help if you have some written down background to work on.

No bags, coats,food are allowed in.but lockers are provided.

Pencils only,

PC Notebooks are allowed but often not at all.

Important to take ID with address on plus a passport photgraph ,as if you havnt got a readers ticket,some still insist on this.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 May 2010 14:43

Thanks Kay.

It sounds like I am entering a secret world. lol

I will take a small folder and note book with info that I have plus info that I need.

Thanks for your help.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 May 2010 14:49

Chery,

Most RO will not allow folders only plain notebooks or loose leaf if you are using fiche,,,,but check when you get there,,,,,some stick to the rules like toffee...:}}}}

you can use a clear plastic zipper holder to carry paper in and pencils..

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 May 2010 15:01

Thanks for all the help.
Obviuosly I will have to take something with my list on. Otherwise I will forget everything once I am inside.

cheryl

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2010 15:42

If you have single lens computer or reading glasses, take those, otherwise you will end up having to crick your head back to look at the screen through the 'reading' part of vari or bi-focals. Microfilm readers seem to be designed for those in excess of 6ft tall!