Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Employment codes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 10 May 2010 05:30

If an A S is recorded alongside the male name or FS alongside female names in the employment census columns of 1841 does that mean Female servant and I'm misreading the A.? Could it be M not A in the males column. Or is there some other explaination? Can someone clarify this for me please! How would able seaman appear on a census?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 May 2010 07:18

Usually it is M S for Male Servant and F S for Female Servant

usually seen in the 1841 census

Later censuses tend to give a more detailed description, eg General Domestic Servant, Farm Servant, etc

Able Seaman ... probably as mariner, Fisherman, or some such Possibly R N (for Royal Navy) ...... just guessing here!

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 May 2010 08:23

See this site for info on abbreviations and definitions used on census returns. Interesting to see that someone suffering from dementia would be known as an imbecile.....!

http://www.familyhistory.uk.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74&Itemid=29

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 Jun 2010 07:09

Hi Sylvia
Thank you for your information. I apologise for not getting back sooner. Cheers

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Jul 2010 07:17

Thankyou sylvia. I have just learned how to get to find yours and others answers to my questions.

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Jul 2010 07:19

Cheers. thanks for that information