Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

navy records 1870's onwards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 11 May 2010 10:50

Hi. I have a relation who we believe joined the navy using his middle name. The reason we think this, is that he was born Paul Harrold (variations in spelling on dif census). We lost him after the 1851 when he appear in a workhouse under surname 'Hurrell'. From 1871 onwards we have a James Harold born Pakenham(census shows Bretnam) in Portsea, Portsmouth, in the Royal Marine Artillery. 1881 and 1891 show him born Pakenham.

His father was called James, so we wonder if he took that name instead of the name used at baptism. We are not even sure if he had a middle name. There was no James Harold (including spelling variations born in Pakenham in 1834 so we believe this to be our relative.
I wondered if anyone knew of a way we could check this and also if I could get access to his service records.
I have tried the National Archives website this morning but it's not playing ball with me.

Any help would be great. I am going to the suffolk records Office tomorrow so can check his baptism record but think that show Paul. His parents were James and Letitia

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 May 2010 11:20

Cheryl....
These are from IGI with parents James and Leticia...

1. Letitia Harrold - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 08 MAY 1843 Pakenham, Suffolk, England

2. WALTER HARRALD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 14 FEB 1837 Pakenham, Suffolk, England

3. PAUL HARRELD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 06 JUL 1834 Pakenham, Suffolk, England

4. AGNES HARROLD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 07 OCT 1838 Pakenham, Suffolk, England

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 May 2010 11:24

Heres Walter..1881

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Walter HARRALD Head M Male 44 Pakenham, Suffolk, England Farmer Of 34 Acres
Marrianne HARRALD Wife M Female 43 Pakenham, Suffolk, England Farmer Of 34 Acres Wife
Frederick Paul HARRALD Son U Male 18 Pakenham, Suffolk, England Farmer Of 34 Acres Son
Alice Agnes HARRALD Daur U Female 14 Pakenham, Suffolk, England
Walter Edward HARRALD Son Male 10 Pakenham, Suffolk, England Scholar
Percy Archie HARRALD Son Male 7 Pakenham, Suffolk, England Scholar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Putticks Farm
Census Place Pakenham, Suffolk, England
Family History Library Film 1341445
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1841 / 43
Page Number 2

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 11 May 2010 12:01

Thanks.
I already have all the census for James, Walter,Jesse and Agnes.
It has just confused us that when Paul dissapears James appears. We don't know of any James born Pakenham or Ixworth (next village) in 1834, which is why we are thinking that James is infact Paul.
We were hoping that his military records might shine a light on it.

I could not find Agnes after 1861 so she must have got married.

Thanks again.
Cheryl

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 11 May 2010 14:51

Royal Marine records are here You can download a record for £3-50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=36&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 11 May 2010 20:05

Thanks. I tried earlier but the site kept freezing