Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military service - census query?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 13 May 2010 06:35

Hi all,

Just a quickie for you...

If I am looking for someone whose obituary states that they had been in the Cameron Highlanders Regiments for quite some time, would they appear in census returns, or if they were on active service would they just miss out on the census's? He was only 33 when he died so I'm not sure how he could have been in the Army and travelled extensively (stated by the newspaper)

I have his death certifcate in 1914 in Fife, Scotland and a reference to his birth in Plumstead, Woolwich, England in the September quarter 1880.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Rachelle

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 May 2010 06:44

If they were in the UK on a census night, they should appear in the appropriate country's census. If they were stationed outside the UK, they won't appear on the UK census, but could appear on that other country's census if they took one while he was there.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 13 May 2010 06:52

thanks mgnv, I just wasn't sure what they for them

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 May 2010 10:48

for interest - you will need to know what battalion he was with but this is where they were.

1881 - 1914
In 1882 the 1st Battalion moved from Gibraltar to Egypt, where they took part in the invasion and occupation of the country and the Battle of Tel-el-Kebir. They remained in Egypt until 1884, when it took part in an expedition to Sudan. The Battalion returned to the UK in 1887.

In 1897 a 2nd Battalion was formed, remaining at home stations while the 1st Battalion returned to Egypt and the Sudan. In From 1900 - 1902 the 1st Battalion fought in the Second Boer War before returning to the UK. The 2nd Battalion then served overseas garrisons in Malta, Crete, China and India.

In 1908 the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 reorganised the reserve battalions of the regiment. The Militia Battalion was transferred to the Special Reserve while the Volunteer Battalion became the 4th Battalion in the new Territorial Force.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 14 May 2010 01:14

Thanks everyone, thanks Barbara I suspect he was in the 1897 part and travelled a lot.

Just to complicate things his father was a Major in a Scottish Regisment and he seems to have moved all over the place!