Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to use the boards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 May 2010 13:51

I am sure it have been mentioned elswhere but I just thought I would read up on how to use the boards section and no wonder people have to keep being advised to stay at their computer when submitting because GenesR states that any responoses will go to your inbox !

"How do I add a message to the Trying to Find board?
You can add a message on our Trying to Find message board by going to the Community section of the site. Click on Trying to Find and then the 'add topic' link.

You can type your message and add it to the board. Any replies will be sent to your inbox on the site.

You can also add a message to the Trying to Find board by going to the Surname Summary section of the site."

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 May 2010 14:17

That section Barbara is since 2003 and is one that has been totally overlooked each time GR in its wisdom upgraded the site,

that is how the system worked about then, as TTF board wasnt threaded as now.:}

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 May 2010 14:17

Well spotted!
Now is this an old message or a hint of things to come?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 May 2010 16:08

I think it's just an old message by Genes that has never been updated.

The Trying to Find board was never threaded when I first joined this site in 2003. You could only send a private message - and of course the person concerned WOULD get an email from Genes in this case.

When GR in it's wisdom decided to change the format of the Trying to Find board, they obviously forgot to alter the section where it gives advice for using the boards.

Kath. x

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 May 2010 16:33

Thats a shame as this is what new members go by and probably are still sitting there waiting for answers to their thread.

I know people have probably requested from Genes for this to be changed but rather than individuals requesting perhaps a petition with all the changes members would like listed could be sent.

We could "sign" by adding to the thread and than cut and past the entire thread into a word document and send as an attachment.

What do people think?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 May 2010 17:34

I can't tell you how many times I have contacted GR about this problem Barbara. They just don't seem to be interested in the fact that many people miss out on the information found for them.

However, as I enjoy this site and have many friends on it, a couple of years ago I decided that instead of helping with lookups, I would trawl through the boards each day and send a message to those who hadn't replied within about 24 hours. I am fortunate to have the time (most days) to do this. Retirement brings its perks!!

Not everyone I send a message to replies back to me but many do and they are, on the whole, extremely grateful as they had assumed that GR would contact them when a reply came on their thread.

There are some, however who, although knowing full well how to respond, still don't!

I just don't know what the answer is, but it isn't for want of trying.

Regards. Cx.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 May 2010 18:15

Would I be correct in saying that this out of date GR info is only applicable to the 'Trying to Find' board?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 May 2010 05:10

The TTF board was not threaded until early 2007 ................... you had to send responses to the inbox.

All the other boards were threaded from at least 2003 (when I joined)

There was major renovation of the site in early 2007, during which TTF was threaded.

Then a further major renovation last year.

It does make a lot more sense to have TTF threaded, just like all the other boards.

I'd like to bet that most queries got duplicate response from several people. Just 'cos we didn't know whether anyone else was replying or what they were sending!

sylvia

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 May 2010 08:21

Ah you see! Information from an 'old hand'!

She's a good 'un is our Sylvia.

Quite bright too!

Cx.

Thelma

Thelma Report 14 May 2010 12:02

The TTF was not threaded for a very good reason.It is where a lot of posts were people looking for living people and you cannot rely on other members to be discreet.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 May 2010 19:10

and now, as Cynthia has noted, the FAQs have been changed :)))

SatNav .... that may have been the original intention of GR when they set up the boards in the first place.

But in fact, as with all of the boards, the members have changed how they use them!!

I think that well over half the queries on TTF now are for dead ancestors rather than for living people ........... not that I have done any kind of scientific count!

I know that I rarely click on requests for living people ...... but I do click on ones asking for ancestor help. That means I usually click on around 2/3rds of the postings on the first page of TTF most evenings.

sylvia