Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

fathers/grandfathers name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 13 May 2010 20:06

Could anyone help me?i have a marriage certificate for some one for 1882, on it the fathers name is filled in, but on his birth certificate it is left blank and takes his mothers surname. on the marriage certificate the fathers name is filled in with his mothers fathers name.is this a normal thing they did years back .i hope you can follow that.
thanks Elaine

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 May 2010 20:19

Maybe his grandparents helped care for him, so he looked on grandfather as his father figure.
It may even be that the grandson was passed off as their own son, so he didn't know any different, when it came to the marriage certificate details.

Illegitimate people sometimes 'invented' a father to record there to save embarrassment about explaing the lack of information.

Gwyn

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 13 May 2010 20:21

I would tend to believe the birth cert

if a child takes the mother's surname and no father is named on the cert this would mean the child was illegitimate

it was not uncommon on subsequent marriage for someone to "make up" a father's name to save face

if you can find the original parish register with the baptism you may be lucky and find the vicar had made a note of who the father was

you may also be able to find bastardy records if the father was made to pay for the child's upkeep

if the mother subsequently married, it is, of course, possible that her husband was the father of the illegitimate child and that they married after the birth, however there's no way of proving it, possibly the only person who would know the identity of the father would be the mother!

this is more common than you may think, sex before marriage certainly isn't just a modern phenomenon!

Elaine

Elaine Report 13 May 2010 20:25

Thanks, looking back on a census he was living with his grandparents!
Elaine