Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Census help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrystine

Chrystine Report 18 May 2010 08:57

Hi, I would appreciate some advice with regard to tracing my Grandfather. His name was George Horace Deakes, born about 1872. I have found what could be a medal card for him, It appears this George was in Royal Irish Rifles. His marriage to my Grandmother in 1912 India, only states his father as being H Deakes, no occupation. Have had no luck with censuses and wondered if he may have been Irish. If this was the case how do I start to look for him in Ireland. ? I have his death 1945 POW Singapore a civillian , not army I have never seen Irish censuses on line so dont know how to start looking. many thanks,

Chrystine

Chrystine Report 18 May 2010 10:03

Hi Jonesey, Many thanks for that, will see if I can find anything. regards Chrys

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2010 10:32

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

DEAKES Helen Lavinia Transcribed by British Library

Marriage 20 Jul1940 Spouse: William NORTH, Lt., R. I. A. S.C., Bareilly

DEAKES Horace Transcribed by British Library

Marriage 01 Dec1934 Spouse: Barbara May SAYWOOD

Chrystine

Chrystine Report 18 May 2010 11:01

Hi Ann, many thanks, I have seen these I have no idea who Helen Lavinia is but I think Horace was Georges son. I have found entry for George Horaces marriage, but his father only has the initial H not his name. I hoped to find George on censuses but had no luck. thanks for your help.