Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there an alternative to Ancestry please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 19 May 2010 20:37

As a favour to an acquaintance I looked for his German ancestry, and found an enormous amount of info, the basics of which I copied down and sent him. I suggested he at least join the 14-day trial so he could see for himself and take notes. He can't afford the sub, and doesn't like the idea of handing over his card details either. And I can't argue with that.
So I wondered if there's likely to be another, less expensive site he could get these details from? He's done most of his British research so he wouldn't really get use out of an expensive sub.
Any ideas please?

he lives in Isle of Man, so a trek to Kew is really out of the question.
Thanks

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 May 2010 20:56

He could try his local library &/or Douglas to see if they have a subscription available for on-site use.

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 19 May 2010 21:02

Thanks for your help, I'll pass that on.

Valerie

Valerie Report 20 May 2010 09:54

Has he tried Family Search???