Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors Who Are Soldiers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 19 May 2010 20:51

Does anybody know whether there was any wars going on that one of our soldiers would be sent to around the time of The 1911 Census.
i have an ancestor who I cannott find in the census who was apparently already a soldier at that time.
i have found the rest of the family on The 1911 Census so know it had not been mistranscribed and he didnt marry till 1919 very curious

Norma

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 19 May 2010 21:01

He could have just been stationed somewhere abroad Norma - or involved in peace-keeping or whatever it was called then.
If you put 'Wars 1910 to 1914' into Google there's numerous skirmishes happening which probably included some of our men...... and with lack of communications/language barriers........ who knows?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2010 21:27

There weren't no "peace-keeping" in 1911; colonial occupation and suppression, yup. ;)

I know my grandfather was in the English military in 1911, but I can't find him in the 1911 census either!

edit - omg. ;) You spurred me, and I just searched for the surname, in the military. I'd recently been looking at his medal cards, which bore a cryptic reference, "FW [surname]". I knew FW were his father's initials, and couldn't figure out why they were there, but didn't pursue it.

On searching for the surname in the military in 1911, I find one with the names F__ W__, 2 or 3 years older than my grandfather actually was.

I think that's him. He must have lied about his name and age when he signed up.

Well, we'd always heard the tale that he joined up at 13 and went to Egypt as a drummer boy or some such. Now I'm off to investigate!

Thanks for the serendipity. ;)

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 19 May 2010 21:44

Ireland maybe?????? but most military only have initials on 1911 census but do have age,occ. country of birth sometimes county, if married with family here in Ireland at time of census they are also on.
Lily.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 19 May 2010 22:48

You can search the 1911 under Military. Most records I've looked at give full name, age and place of birth so he should be there somewhere! If not, then his records might be on the Ancestry website if he went on to serve in WW1, or he might appear on the findmypast website when they have uploaded those discharged 1900-1913.

Norma

Norma Report 19 May 2010 22:57

Hi All
Thank you for that info will certainly try under military on the 1911 Census.
i had already tried WWi records but i tnink he must have been one og the 50% whose records had been destroyed.

Norma

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 19 May 2010 23:08

Norma,

Do you have his full name and birth yaer, maybe a fresh pair of eyes will help!

Annx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2010 23:26

Just to clarify for Norma, and what I did that I mentioned above -- search the 1911 for

surname: [the surname]
place of residence: military

and it will bring up individuals with that surname in "overseas military". I'm assuming the actual record will say where they are -- I've just begged a lookup from someone for the one who may be my grf. ;)

Norma

Norma Report 20 May 2010 08:52

hi All
I have searched under military i cannot find him it just says no results returend.
Thank you Annx for the offer of a fresh pair of eyes.
His name is
Henry Lewis Powell born in Hackney London in 1887
He appears in the 1901 census age 13
His Parents and siblings in the 1911 census are living 35 Wellington Road W, Stow in The County of Essex.

Norma

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 May 2010 15:12

Well, it says no results returned if you are as specific as it sounds like you were! I was saying to be *less* specific.

Searching for Powell, born 1887 +/- 2 years, born London, in "Military", we get results that include:

MILITARY POWELL HARRY 1887 24 Overseas Military
MILITARY POWELL HENRY 1886 25 Overseas Military

Without specifying "London" (and I can't see the birthplace because I don't pay), there is also:

POWELL HENRY 1888 23 Overseas Military

If someone with a sub checks -- he could be one of them?

Norma

Norma Report 20 May 2010 19:26

Hi JaneyCanuck
I have looked the ones up as you suggested-I had not realised that you could select Overseas Military in the county section and I think i have found him.
It was the one Harry Powell born in Stepney London in 1887 apparently according to his nephew he was known as Uncle Harry
Thank you for your help you have filled in a gap for me
Norma

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 May 2010 19:30

Actually, I hadn't realized it either until I read your thread and took another shot at finding my grandfather! and it worked. (And I now know I have yet *another* ancestor who couldn't stick to a single name.)

You're welcome - and ditto, because in fact what I found when I started looking again has probably filled an even bigger one for me. ;)