Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War Deaths (Scottish Soldier0

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CC

CC Report 20 May 2010 10:40

I am trying, with difficulty, to find a copy of my grandfather's death certificate, he was in the REME and was killed in France after the end of the war. He was involved in digging war graves when he was killed, he is buried in a war grave but no one can help me with a death certificate - any ideas?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2010 10:45

He should be on the Commonwealth War Graves site with his date of death on there.

Once you have the date of death you should be able to find the reference for his death certificate on Findmypast overseas military deaths.

You then order in the normal way from the GRO remembering to select "overseas deaths".

Kath. x

CC

CC Report 20 May 2010 11:00

Thanks Jonesey,
There is a story that he went over there to dig the graves but he was playing cards and winning and was beaten up for his winnings and left to die - dont know how much truth there is in it.

CC

CC Report 20 May 2010 11:01

Thank you Kath, I will have a look at that site.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 May 2010 12:36

Since he was a Scottish soldier, his d.cert should be available thru ScotlandsPeople but, like Jonesey says, the war death registers are singularly uninformative. For an example of what they're like, see the links at the foot of:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&404

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 20 May 2010 13:29

I have discovered Scottish ancestors military records on

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

It included when and how long he was hospitalised following a "slight gunshot wound to his left side" and being missing from barracks from 6.30pm but returned drunk at 9.30pm.

The same sailor's death registration on Scotlandspeople.

CC

CC Report 20 May 2010 15:56

Thanks TootyFrooty, I will check that site out.