Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hospital Workhouse birth / baptism query.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 May 2010 12:17

Can someone tell me if a person was admitted to the hospital section of a workhouse - just to give birth - would that child have to be baptised there?

Thanks' Lou

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 May 2010 12:35

Not necessarily . If it was just a hospital birth and mum went home afterwards then likely the child would be baptised in her local church.If the mum went to hospital from the workhouse and then went back to the workhouse then the child would most probably be baptised in the Church for the workhouse
another scenario may be the child was sickly so was baptised whilst mum was still in hospital so again would be the local church associated with the workhouse.

So to answer your question its a maybe!!

I have a birth record of 1909 where mum was in the workhouse ,gave birth in the hospital .child was baptised in their church at 2 weeks old and then mum was back in the workhouse. have birth cert, workhouse record,and baptism record that ties it all up nicely !

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 May 2010 12:47

Hi Shirley,

Thanks,

She had 2 children in total, but I don't know where the first child was born. She was admitted into the workhouse in the area she was living to give birth but she was transfered to the workhouse where she originated from so that she could give birth there. I have got the papers from the workhouse in her birth area but they don't help apart from telling me she was transfered. The workhouse records from where she was living are no long in existence. So my problem now is would she have them baptised in her own birth area or where she was living? I don't know I seem to take one step forward only to take another backward. Oh The joys' of FH.

I know the father's surname but not his christian name, I also know the names of his 2 other children to another woman, but I can't find a birth match for either of them. I was hoping to be able to find baptism records for her two children which I am hoping might give me the father's christian name.

Regards, Lou

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 May 2010 12:59

URM dilemma!! well my thoughts are as she was transferred back after the birth then more than likely the baby would be baptised where she was living ,Maybe you can search the parish records for the churches

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 May 2010 13:01

sometimes the batismal record of an illgitimate chils will say baseborn child of the mums name and quote the dads name too .some vicars were pedantic at wanting to know who the dad was .

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 May 2010 13:08

Hi Shirley

Thanks again. I was hoping you'd think she'd go back to the area she was liivng. As that's what I was thinking, but it's nice to know the thoughts of other's.

I have seen baptism records which state baseborn child and wondered what that meant. I can only hope the vicar was as pedantic as others.

Thanks again for your help it's much apprecaited.

Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 May 2010 20:34

Hi PigletsPal,

Thanks very much, will definatley try the local church to the area she lived in.

Regards Lou