Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So time consuming

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 26 May 2010 12:14

Are they any tips for searching the 1911 census. I put in what I know to be true, what the previous census reported, but I still have to spend a lot of time with various combinations of info.

Kathlyn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 May 2010 12:19

Are you doing free search or do you have a sub? If the latter I would highly recommend doing a free search first as it is so much better.
Maybe if you give us an example someone might be able to suggest why you are having this problem.
Also, beware of putting in too much! Name, year of birth (+/- 2 years) and county is enough to begin with. I find putting birthplace can cause problems.
Jan

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 26 May 2010 12:51

Hi Jan,

I do a free search first, and I do not have a particular problem at the moment, it`s just so frustrating that I end up arguing with the computer...you know..."You stupid machine, I know where they were they live why don`t you"......

Maybe I do tend to give too much info, but I am only trying to be helpful to an inanimate object !!!!

Kathlyn

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2010 13:13

I use Fmp for free searches.I find that 1911 on line is to complicated but it is useful for initial searches.
EG
Fmp,advanced search
renyard southampton,24 results
select one.hubert
new advanced search
registration district southampton
living in same household.hubert renyard
result
ousehold RENYARD, Constance 1897 14 F Southampton Hampshire VIEW VIEW
Household RENYARD, Ellen 1867 44 F Southampton Hampshire VIEW VIEW
Household RENYARD, George 1859 52 M Southampton Hampshire VIEW VIEW
Household RENYARD, Maud 1902 9 F Southampton Hampshire VIEW VIEW
Household RENYARD, Winifred 1896 15 F Southampton Hampshire

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 May 2010 13:57

Remember when doing searches ALL the criteria you enter must match exactly otherwise the search will fail. Putting too much in can be a hindrance rather than a help.

Best to start with as little as possible then add more criteria if you need to narrow it down because you have too many results.

Louise

Louise Report 26 May 2010 14:00

could someone please tell me how I can get the census records for after 1901 in england and wales please I am new to this and on the website it only seems to go upto 1901

cheers

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 26 May 2010 16:53

Many thanks for your answers. Yes I think I have been too precise in the past, but as Mr. Tesco says..."Every little helps"...but not necessarily in the case of the 1911.

Kathlyn