Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA Marriage Certificate advice please anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 26 May 2010 18:08

Does a USA marriage certificate dated 1893 have both parents names on it like the English ones?

I have in my pocession what I think is probably just an announcement or license of a marriage and not the actual certificate. It only states the dates, names of the intended and one other name who I presume is the person who granted the licence.

If I ordered the marriage certificate from the USA will it give me the same info as English ones, and does anyone know how or where I go to get one?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or help offered.

Regards, Lou

I've googled to find more info and have come across this;

$4 per plain copy
$6 for One-Seal record - does anyone know what the difference is please?

Much apppreciate any advice. Lou

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 26 May 2010 18:29

Lou,

Depends on the state. Each state is like a different country. Google "marriage certificate" together with the state name to find out more.

Rose

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 26 May 2010 18:40

Hi Rose

thanks for the tip.

Already tried there, it states it depends on which County the marriage took place in. Plus any info relates to present day.

Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 26 May 2010 18:48

update;

Found it; Plain - is for geneology One-Seal and Triple-Seal are for offiial use by the person named.

Lou

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2010 23:14

and Hawaii issues a Certificate of Live Birth

just to be different from all the other states

which is why some Americans question whether Barack Obama was really born in Hawaii ...... they would just love for him to have born out of the US, then he would not be eligible to be President

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2010 23:16

Just noticed

you said:-

Does a USA marriage certificate dated 1893 have both parents names on it like the English ones?

An English marriage certificate only has the names of the two FATHERS .... mother's names never appear on them.

sylvia

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 27 May 2010 19:44

Hi Sylivia,

Sorry my mistake I meant to say both father's names.

Regards, LOu

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 May 2010 01:18

A USA m.cert is exactly like a UK m.cert - in other words, the info it contains varies from country to country (except they call them states) and with time.

For instance, a Scottish m.cert now contains the dob, pob, father's name, mother's name and maiden surname for both bride and groom - older ones omit dob/pob info. You get the same sort of variability in the US.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 28 May 2010 10:22

Hi mgnv

thanks for the info. It looks as if the document I have got contains all the info I am likely to get. I just wanted it to confirm the father's name thus saving me an extra expense of getting groom's birth certificate.

The problem is I know when he emigrated and his year and rough area of birth in Wales England. The trouble is in the USA his descendents only know his actual date of birth and nothing about his parents. She had the marriage license and sent me a copy. The license stated his area of birth was South Wales, which is correct, but with a name like Jones - well and what with his father's name being a common well as well I could spend a fortune even with the actual date of birth.

Thanks for your help though, it's really appreciated.

Regards, Lou