Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Registration Question please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 29 May 2010 23:37

Hi

I guess I ought to know the answer to this question - but I don't lol - and I'm sure one of you here will be able to tell me the answer please.

Where is a birth supposed to be registered? At the area of birth, or at the usual home address area if different?

I've just come across a bit of an odd one (1950's) where the child was born in Yorkshire but the birth was registered in Middlesex. Middlesex being the usual home address of the mother.

Mary

Edit: Sorry should have added. What makes it more odd is that the child was being given up for adoption immediately after the birth, so can't understand why the mother would then register it in Middlesex?

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 May 2010 23:42

It should be registered in the district where it occurred. It's not necessary to physically go to an office in that district - one can go to any English or Welsh office and fill out the forms, and they'll forward them to the appropriate district office.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 May 2010 23:46

Hi Mary,
Do you have the BC,if not it could state,*,as per declaration* written on it,,,,it is now and was then possible to register a birth at anotehr reg office under certain conditions,,,,but the York county reg office & General Reg Office would have been notified the birth declared ,,,,,,,,but the reg office where done will still be indexed,,,,,
ie the mother left the area before registering the birth and declared it at Middlesex,,,,perhaps she wasnt aware she needed to do this under the given circumstances,,,

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 29 May 2010 23:47

Thanks mgnv

That's what I thought, so was surprised to find that the birth is registered in Middlesex in the BMD index not Yorkshire?

I read the gro info as that the office would send the details to the register office where the birth actually took place and then it would show in the index as (in this case) Yorkshire?

Mary

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 29 May 2010 23:50

Thanks everyone for your replies.

SomersetGirl - the birth is only registered once, in Middlesex.

Mary

Edit to add: Kay??? No, I don't have the BC but I think I will get it and see what (if anything) is written on it.

Mary

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 May 2010 23:57

Hi Mary,

If you do,you may find it will state the Yorks details,,as then Somerset House would have made notification of their records,,,

I have one such BC,,,,,done in the 1930s....
There is no law that a birth must be reg in county of birth,,just the birth details given must be correct.