Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tips for Research at Local Archives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 30 May 2010 18:44

Hi

I am thinking of going to Stratford Library soon to try and locate old electoral roll records from 1930 onwards in the Newham Archives. I've not visited an Archive/ Records Office to look for such information before and wondered if someone with more experience could advise what to expect? For example, is information likely to be held on a fiche/ electronically in alphabetical order or premises/ street name order, etc.? I do realise that each library/ records office could be different but what's the norm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hilary

Hilary

Hilary Report 30 May 2010 19:12

Hi

Newham Archives is apparently located inside Stratford library. It seems to be a growing trend as my local records office has just moved into the local library too.

Hilary

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 30 May 2010 19:40

I would imagine they would be original documents rather than on film or fiche and arranged by address. You could always ring them, though, to check!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 May 2010 19:59

In my nearest main library, that electoral information is in book form, - one book for each year.

In my area it works like this........

Within the book there are electoral lists for the main town and also for the named sub areas plus a couple of nearby villages.

Each section is split into parliamentary wards, which is fine for the villages, but within the main town one has to make sure that you search each one. This is not too daunting because the roads within that section are listed on the first page of that ward.
ie. there might be West Ward, Central Ward, South Ward etc.
The streets are listed alphabetically within each ward and the eligible voters are listed at each address.
Sometimes in the older books there is a code after the person's name. This can be checked against the information listed at the front of the book and indicates the reason for their eligibility to vote, eg. house ownership, employment etc.

Unlike modern discs, you can't search a town just by surname. You do need an address.

Gwyn

Hilary

Hilary Report 30 May 2010 20:48

Thank you to everyone who has responded, you have all been very helpful.

Best wishes
Hilary

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 30 May 2010 22:30

PM sent with details of opening times
Liz

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 May 2010 22:55

Just to add to what Gwyn in Kent said. Just because a street was in *Central* ward in one year, it does not necessarily mean it is in the same Ward the following year as the area has expanded. You need to check each index etc.

Hilary

Hilary Report 31 May 2010 07:40

Thank you for the further useful tips and also to you Liz for the information on Newham Archives opening times. I will be sure to book an appointment before I go.

Best wishes
Hilary