Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage index system.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 May 2010 20:45

Greetings all,
I've never really thought about how the English system works, but assumed, without thinking, that if there are 4 people listed in say Bugsboro, March 1880 8p 504, that they are consecutive marriages in the same town or church or..
Is it possible that they could have taken place at opposite ends of the registration district?
An explanation would be appreciated.
Thanks,
B

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 May 2010 21:26

Some even maybe civil register office marriage,any mariage what take place which covers that registration district radius,

Thelma

Thelma Report 31 May 2010 21:27

The marriages are passed from all the churches to the local registrar.
A clerk takes those records and copies them into a register for the GRO.
You will find all the marriages for one church with consecutive numbers.
Unless they are spread over two registers.In that case there could be two blocks of numbers.

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 May 2010 23:29

Thanks for the replies - but I'm still confused.
Somerset & Kay say they could be from anywhere - SatNav says that consecutive numbers means the same church (obviously until the next in line starts)

No worries! I have two women on the same page who could be step-sisters and I presumed it. Maybe they are unrelated. They are too distant from me to spend money on just to prove it.
Thanks again
B

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Jun 2010 04:15

I took a couple of consecutive pages at random from a Welsh RD whose local index I knew was online.

Marriages Sep 1837 (>99%)
ADAMS John Holywell 27 285
GRIFFITHS Edward Holywell 27 285
HOWARD Robert Holywell 27 285 [Ancestry image says 283 - correction sub'd to FreeBMD]
JONES Gwen Holywell 27 285
PARRY John Holywell 27 285
PARRY Peter Holywell 27 285
ROBERTS Ann Holywell 27 285
ROWLANDS Ann Holywell 27 285
SMITH Charlotte Holywell 27 285

North Wales Marriage indexes for the years: 1837
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ADAMS John SMITH Charlotte Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E1
PARRY Peter JONES Gwen Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E2
PARRY John ROBERTS Anne Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E3
GRIFFITHS Edward ROWLAND Anne Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E4

HOWARD Robert CONWAY Susannah B Northop, Ss Eurgain and Peter Flintshire (Mold) C21/1/E1

Marriages Sep 1837 (>99%)
EDWARDS Catherine Holywell 27 286
GRIFFITH Robert Holywell 27 286
JONES Evan Holywell 27 286
JONES Thomas Holywell 27 286
MORGAN Elizabeth Holywell 27 286
PARRY John Holywell 27 286
THOMAS Sarah Holywell 27 286
WILLIAMS Elizabeth Holywell 27 286

North Wales Marriage indexes for the years: 1837
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
JONES Evan WILLIAMS Elizabeth Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E5
GRIFFITHS Robert EDWARDS Catherine Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E6
PARRY John MORGAN Elizabeth Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E7
JONES Thomas THOMAS Sarah Whitford, Ss Mary and Beuno Flintshire (Mold) C25/1/E8

Similarly, when the GRO lists B's and D's, one will find they work thru the regos from one subdistrict before moving on to the next, so a March rego in Cardiff East could have a lower GRO page # than a Jan rego in Cardiff West.

With marrs, they work thru thr registers, but before 1898, non-conformists weren't trusted to keep regos - only the established Church (i.e., C of E or C of W), jews and quakers were trusted, and marrs in another place needed the attendance of the registrar, who recorded the marr in his own register, mixed in with all his rego office marrs. After 1898, only RCs were untrusted. The registrars' registers will be copied into the GRO, but this could cover non-conformist churches all over the subdistrict in addition to the rego office.

NB Since this local index usually gives the entry # rather than the page #, it usually resolves who wed whom. Some local indices give age at death and mum's MS even in 1837.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 1 Jun 2010 21:09

Thanks for the effort put in to the explanations.
I'll stop jumping to conclusions!

B